Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Include Post Number

Hi,

This goes in the category of minor nice to haves. Didn't notice anything in the last 6 months of posts. So here goes.

When looking at an archive, one sometimes wants to look at the thread of posts on the subject. Since a thread obviously may span many days but an archive just has the last day's posts for the thread (? seems like there's duplicates at times), what I may do is try to match a post on the archive with a post in the thread to create a place to start reading the thread (which suggests another enhancement). I don't really want to go all the way back. Maybe I want to respond to someone whose post I was reading in the archive.

The matching may seem simple but sometimes is not as simple as it should be. The timestamps on the archive are not the same as the archive on the thread because of offset for the archive-reader's time zone from UTC used in the thread. Of course, one could take this into account, if one knows the offset or that it is even being done, or just match on the minutes and perhaps the date of the timestamp and ignore the hour. I recall one time where the minutes didn't match either.

It would be far easier, IMHO, to do this matching if the message# were included in the index of a thread. I'd almost rather have that than the timestamp - what almost, I would prefer the message#.

Also, when referring someone to a post, I may use the message# (eg, see Gary's message# 142568); I'd never use the timestamp. I have never seen anyone say see Legare's message of 23 Nov 2001 at 20:42. Further, timestamps are not searchable while message#s are. It's also probably easier to see the order of postings in a thread by looking at message#s (given all the levels of responding) than by looking at timestamps.

That's my simple request. Thanks.

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Hornsby Heights, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Include Post Number

Hi Fred,

The message numbers are shown in the emailed archives, if you select HTML notification then you can actually click on the subject line in the message. (Look for Email notifications and digests in HTML or plain text? on that page)
    Cheers, Claude.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Include Post Number

Hi Claude,

Thks for the quick response.

Some email readers/clients still don't have html capability. I also find they take a little longer to open and download. For those reasons, I still prefer plain text. For the reasons listed in my original post, I think having a message number in the thread listing is still worthwhile and better than the timestamp.

Fred