Star Lounger
    Thanks

C:\Windows\Recent

In the Windows-Folder,there is a folder called "RECENT".
    It contains a lot of short-cuts to programs I`ve deleted long ago,but it also contains short-cuts wich do exist.
    My quistion is:Must I look at them one at a time and only delete the obsolete short-cuts and programs.
    Or can I just select all and delete the entire folder(without losing programs or short -cuts that are still working)?
    In other words,if I delete a still working short-cut or program in the Recent-Folder,do I delete it just out of the Recent-Folder or does it delete the actual short-cut/MP3/Program.

Greetz:Liberator.

Add.Same quistion about C:WindowsTEMP & C:WindowsTemporary Internet Files.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: C:\Windows\Recent

If you delete a short cut, that is all that is deleted, the file that it is a short cut to will not be deleted.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes,I,understand that but there`s more in the recent folder(html-doc`s,movies,mp3`s,files etc).
    Can,I just select all and empty the entire folder without losing important data?
    Also,when I,installed Norton AV,Norton CS and Norton PF the files extracted to :C:WindowsTEMP.
    And I,had to install the actual programs from there,they are now installed as:C:Program FilesNorton AV,
    C:Program FilesCS and C:Program FilesPF.
    But the extracted files are stil in C:WindowsTEMP,so my quistion is can I,delete the entire TEMP-Folder an everything that is in it,because as I,understand it these files are now obsolete.
    Sinds they are now installed in C:Program Files etc.
    Same quistion about:C:WindowsTemporary Internet Files,can I,just select all and delete everything that is in it?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If what you have in C:WindowsRecent are shortcuts to files that are physically in a different folder, then if you delete the shortcut the file will still be in the other folder. Deleting a shortcut does not delete the file it is pointing to. If you have files (the actual html-doc's, movies, mp3s, etc), then if you delete those they will be gone. Windows should only put shortcuts into the C:WindowsRecent folder, so if you have actual files there, you had to put them there yourself.

Unless you have put something into C:WindowsTemp that you want to keep, then you should be able to delete everything in that directory.

I would not delete anything from the Temporary Internet files directory directly. You should be able to get rid of anything that is not need by going into Internet explorer and selecting "Internet Options" from the Tools menu and then clicking on the Delete Files and/or the Delete Cookies buttons depending on what you want to get rid of.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Legare answered this pretty thoroughly but I wanted to add a "gotcha" to this.

When you install software, it can leave files in TEMP. Running applications will do this also. My personal preference is to dump anything older than the current date. If you don't, you may have an ugly message about a file being in use or something like that. Otherwise, yes, it is all junk.

Temporary Internet Files is an indexed arrangement of said junk - follow Legare's advice about cleaning it out. If space used or its location is what has you concerned, move it or reduce the amount of space it's allowed to consume.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for the thorough and clear explanations.
    It`s exactly what I,wanted to know.