New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow New Document Dialog Box

My organization is in the process of deploying Office 2000. We have 62 offices each with their own file server. We have configured Word/Office to pull workgroup templates from a shared drive on the local office file server. The local machines and the file server have a 10 megabit connection. This location has 709 files in 27 different folders. The problem we are having is this: The wait time the user's are experiencing when invoking a FileNew in Word and Excel to load a corporate template is unacceptable. It ranges from 40-65 seconds. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to solve it. We would really like to avoid having to maintain all of the templates on each machine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Slow New Document Dialog Box

One thing that can have an impact on this is whether Show Preview is on. Try turning this off and see if this improves the speed any (I doubt though that this is causing most of the delay).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 things come to mind:

1) Are they converting each time their accessed?

2) What type of server software are you using? Win2K Server would allow for keeping them on the machine and background updates in the login script would make for easy maintenance.
    Karen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i have to question if they need this many templates accessible via file > new.

can they be better organized so only the templates used by a group are accessible to that group?

New Lounger
    Thanks

The Preview option is on and I will check into this. I agree that this may slow it some but probably not that much.

New Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean by converting? Most of the templates were developed in Office 97. Do you think that we need to reopen the templates in Office 2000 and resave them?

We are using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I will talk with the network/server team about the option of using a login script to synchronize the templates.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving the templates to 2000 would be preferable. Particularly those prior to 97.

Our firm has over 4000 users in 18 offices nationwide (US) each office with their own server. We store the templates on the servers and as updates are made they are loaded to the individual machines. It's pretty seamless, and because it all happens in the background the users are unaware of the updates unless we add something to a toolbar, or create a new macro that we advertise.
    Karen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Two things that can make Office products slow:

1- If Outlook is installed (even if you are not using it), start it up and check to see if journaling is enabled for anything. In the Tools menu click Options, and then on the Preferences tab click on the Journal Options button. Make sure that none of the boxes in that dialog box are checked.

2- Another thing that causes performance problems (although not usually of the type you describe) is MS Office FastFind. If FastFind is running, then I would recommend getting rid of it. Go to the Startup folder and delete the shortcut for FastFind. Then go to the Control Panel and double click on FastFind. Select any files in the dialog window and select Delete from the Index menu.

I believe that both of these options are usually on by default.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

We will try to save all templates as 2000, however I am more interested in knowing how you synchronize your templates from the server to the workstation? Are you using offline folders? If not could you show me the lines in your logon script that do this? Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where are the workstations accessing the templates from? A local server or a remote (i.e. central) server?

If they are all accessing them from a remote server try copying all the templates to a local server and see if that overcomes performance issues for that workgroup. If it does you just set up a script to copy the templates from the central server to each local server say once per day.

Another thought. Are the templates flagged as ReadOnly? IMO they should be as they seem to open much more quickly and multiple users can access the same one simultaneously.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry... I'm on vacation and don't have access to the actual script. Will try to get it to you later this week. Have your IT people check out Group Policy Objects. They may well tinker it out before I'm able to get you the requested info.
    Karen