Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nero versus Philips

I,deleted Adaptec and put the latest version of Nero (5.5.82) on.
    After that it`s been nothing but trouble,my CDR-Rewriter(Philips:CDD 4801)doesn`t read or write anymore.
    When I,want to burn audio/data or vcd Nero says its waiting for my rewriter to get ready?
    But it never does,only when I,eject the blank cd Nero detects the max.writing speed.
    When I,insert it again and select write it freezes(both Nero and Writer)
    I,have to manualy shut down the pc to be able to open the CDR-Writers door again(I,ve burned a lot of coasters).
    And now my writer doesn`t detect anything anymore,it just spins a couple of times and then quits.

I`ve run new aspi-drivers,been in BIOS and let it detect writers,uninstalled and installed a couple of times
    But my knowledge of computers ends here.
    Hopefully somebody has more understanding of this problem and knows what to do.

Greetz:Liberator.

Add.Nero says it can`t acces the rewriter?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nero versus Philips

Try removing the CD-RW drive from Device Manager, and letting the system re-discover it. If your system is manufactured by a company with some support, make sure you check their website. If, like me, you "roll your own" PC, look for IDE Miniport driver updates.

I don't want to scare the snot out of anyone, but I did encounter such sever performance issues with my IDE drives due to upgrading the IDE drivers that I ended up with a full format and reinstall. This was on a notoriously crummy ALi chipset, which hopefully has become extinct - just make sure you use caution.

Bottom line, I suspect a problem with the IDE bus in your system - rather the way that Windows talks to it. You might even try removing all hard and optical drives and then rebooting - the BIOS almost certainly isn't the problem.

Does Nero offer support for your CD-RW drive? If it was bundled with the drive that is a non-issue, but if you downloaded or purchased it there may not be support for your writer.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nero versus Philips

I,went to Device Manager but I,did not delete the rewriter,instead I,right clicked on the writer and selected
    renew.
    Then I,rebooted my PC and tried to burn a cd again(Simulation)and to my surprise it worked!
    But,I`m still holding my breath when it comes to writing the Lead-Out(that`s the point where it went wrong).
    I`ve simulated about 10 cd`s and succesfully burned 2 so far.
    So I,hope the problem is gone.

Before I,downloaded Nero,I,looked up their CDR-Rewriter compatible list and mine was in it,so that shouldn`t be a problem.
    I`ve also thought about up-grading the Firmware(I,downloaded the latest flash-zip for that).
    But I,can`t find a good website wich has a full-tutorial on the subject(As you know,you can mess up a lot of things with flashing your hardware).
    But for now it all seems to be working again so I,leave it the way it is.

Thanks again for your advise.

Greetz:Liberator.