2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hover buttons (FP 2002)

I have used a series of hover buttons for vertical navigation. They work fine except that when I run the mouse cursor over them at just normal speed the images get all muddled up and I have to click one to bring them right. Is this just a slow graphics accelerator problem or can I do something about it.

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hover buttons (FP 2002)

Are you using the built-in FrontPage navbars, or are you using your own code to create the rollovers? FrontPage's mouse-overs are pretty slow IMHO.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I gave away FP's vertical navigation buttons because they add about 4 gif files to every page. I used FP's hover buttons under Insert/Web Component which may be even slower. I am beginning to think it is a problem with graphics accelerators in older computers.

Roger

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, the FP hover buttons use Java - so you're getting a double hit. First the JVM has to initialize, and the CLASS files also need to download. I can't check since I don't have FP on the computer I am using now, but that seems about right - and if I'm correct in my assumption, that is also why the hover would be slow slow slow.

There are a billion free resources on the net for hover using JavaScript - that may be a better alternative. FrontPage has some nice little features but I have never liked hovers and navbars in particular, they always seem to have performance issues. This is especially bad on slow links (such as my sloooooooow modem at the office).
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The hover buttons appear to use javascript applets rather than java. The scrambling only happens when I use the scroll bars quickly. Can you point me to a more efficient program that doesn't use multiple images for each page.

Roger

Thanks

Tags that start with applet and involve code ending with .class do use the Java Virtual Machine (or Microsoft Virtual Machine, if you're not entitled to use Sun's trademark).

You can swap images using JavaScript, as we do on our web site, but you still need two images for every button. I've centralized most of the code out of reach, but it's still listed in a few pages, including this one. Check out the behavior of the tabs and inset green buttons to see what I mean. You could be more inspired, using animated gifs, for example, but this seems to work fairly well. Sometimes there are anomalies in the slim area just below the green buttons after scrolling. The cause simply cannot be pinned down, so I've never been able to debug that.