Super Moderator
    Thanks

Setting Tab Order using properties (Access 2000)

I have been having dreadful trouble trying to set Tab order this morning. Usually what I do works OK, but sometimes
    Access behaves in a way I can't understand. I am working on a form with tab pages, and trying to set the order within one of the pages.

I usually set Tab order using the Properties Box. I go to the first control and set is tabindex property to 0, go to the next set it to 1 and so on in order. Usually what happens is that controls that currently come after the new index I assign are renumbered, and those before it are left alone. Today it is renumbering them all apparently at random. It even changes the tabindex numbers in the properties box as I type them. When I retype it, it changes it again but to a different number.

Sometimes it seems to work for a while, but then I go back and check the early ones and find that the first control has become 29 or something similar.

I eventully got the tab order right by going to View...TabOrder and dragging the listed controls.

Is this a known 'feature' of Access, or is my machine just misbehaving?
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting Tab Order using properties (Access 2000)

The only time I've tried setting tab order using the indexes, I did it from code. The only way to make that work reliably was to start from the *last* control and work backwards to 0.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for that suggestion. I just tried it doing it in the opposite order.

I have got 30 controls on the page. Went to number 28, and changed its index to 30. Access immediately changed it to 5, then renumbered lots of other controls, and jumbled up the order.

If you don't set tab order using the indexes, do you just use view..tab order instead?
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you're doing it from code, that's by far the easiest way, and it's the method I use. And by the way, you can't change just one index, you have to change every index if you do it from code or from the property sheet. If you use the View menu, you can drag the controls into the tab order you want and the indexes will be set accordingly.
    Charlotte