Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dennyryan

SR1-a Install Error

I installed the Office 2000 Upgrade a few weeks ago without any apparent problems. I then downloaded the SR1-a patch and tried to install that but received an error (Micorosoft Internal Error 2318) during the "configuring" step. The process ends shortly after that.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Microsoft Technical Support area responded to my e-mail about the problem and provided a few suggested changes, such as performing a clean boot prior to the install, but that had no effect. They finally directed me to request the CD and try the install from that which I found to be rather pointless. I get the same error using the SR-1 CD as well.

I've reinstalled the Office 2000 upgrade and then tried to apply the SR-1a patch but still no luck. Does anyone have any ideas for what I might try to get around this problem.

Denny

joyful4

Re: SR1-a Install Error

I have exactly the same problem and have spent days with tech support suggestions too numerous to enumerate. None had any effect, still have same problem. Also, I've had the problem on two different machines (one desktop, one laptop) both mainstream (Intel & HP)- no clones, so it's not machine specific. Appears to be something wrong with their install program. I gave up on it and am running Office 2000 without patches, seems to work OK. Good Luck!

Scott A

Error 2318 is a "File does not exist" error.
    Did it specify a file name at all or just give a generic error message?

joyful4

No specific file indicated, but I sent "both" install log files to MS for detail.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you taken a look at MS Knowledgebase article Q230895
    "Installation Ended Prematurely Because of an Error" and article Q259420 "How to Use a Log File to Troubleshoot SR-1 Update"? The Techs probably walked you through this stuff, but it never hurts to look again.
    Charlotte

joyful4

Unfortunately the log files have only cryptic (numerical) descriptions of the program calls they make. I had been working with a Microsoft Engineer and sent both the install log files, hoping he would be able to decrypt them. Was of no use, or at least not to him.

Scott A

Installer log file reading can be quite difficult. If you'd like a second oppinion, please let me know.

As far as the Q articles Charlotte mentioned, they are a good start, but sometimes installation errors are so deeply buried in the log files, that it really take an experience person to find out what is going on. Tack on OS issues and sometimes it can be next to impossible to determine what the problems is.

Did you go through MS personal support? IMHO, people on this board have more experience, knowledge, professionalism, and courtesy than most of those MS support people. Their usual answer if FFR (FDisk, Format, Reinstall), which isn't really fixing a problems.

Just my $0.02.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FFR

That's when you say, "I'm sorry, but you've been unable to help me. Can I please have 2nd level support (or higher)?"

They hate me at Microsoft....
    Christopher Baldrey

dverduin

The best thing to do is to uninstall Office and re-install it and forget about the SR-1 it is junk

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sr-1A has some fixes in it that are helpful, IT is NOT junk.
    Now SR-1 was a big pain in the head. The ordering the CD is one of the best things one can do, this way you will have it if you ever rebuild your machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

joyful4

I have attached the files (zipped) directly from the Microsoft post. If you can make any sense of the 48(?) digit product codes, your doing better than me.

Scott A

Unfortuneately the log file does not have enough detail to explain what is going on. By default, the SR-1 patch does not generate a "verbose" log of the patch. I hate to do this to you, but in order to find out what is causing the problem, your best bet is to:
    1) Download and save the entire SR-1a client patch. You can download it from http://download.microsoft.com/download/off...S/O2KSR1aDL.EXE. It's 52MB in size [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]
    2) Once it is downloaded, double-click the file to extract it out.
    3) Once extracted, run the following command-line on the Start|Run line:
    <extract path>setup.exe /QB /L2 C:SR1Patch.txt /V
    4) This will create a verbose log file called SR1Patch.txt in the root of the C drive. This file will have a lot more information and hopefully provide information as to what is causing the problem.

joyful4

Your offer is appreciated and certainly trying to make sense of the cryptic product codes in the install log is rediculous. However, the time to install and un-install the SR1a patch is just not worth it. I think I will just stay with the original install for now. Thank you again for your kind offer of assistance.

MikeM

I have an original registered copy of O2K. What is the best way to get a CDRom from MS with all of the latest patches? I'm not interested in a 52M down load and I agree with you that having the disk is a better solution.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/office/details/SR1.htm> SR-1 CD </A>
    Look on the right side of the screen about ordering the CD. At this time the like to order is not working, hope it is just down and NOT out of service.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast