New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook editing (2000)

When I edit a message in Outlook (to correct my spelling errors etc) I need to press "Delete" twice to delete a letter, although if I go past it one "Backspace" will delete it OK. Problem is that if you are not careful, you just delete once and move on thinking you have done it. Is this a known "thing"? Can I change this to normal one-press deleting?

Thanks

Re: Outlook editing (2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by jscher2000 on 02-Jul-02 15:09.</P>What format are you using - plain text, RTF, HTML? <font color=blue>Or WordMail?</font color=blue>

Any chance your Del key has a problem? If you use the Del key on the numeric keypad does it work with one press?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I mostly use html, as default, and the problem is not universal. Sometimes is doesn't happen (like when am trying to demonstrate it!). I will try changing to plain text, and rtf and try different Del keys, now you have suggested it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks

Because of table cell codes and other unviewable elements in HTML messages, the misbehavior of the Del and Backspace keys can appear to be random and unpredictable. Outlook 2000 just is not a good HTML editor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

After a week of paying close attention to what is happening, and trying moving in and out of html - needing double Delete presses does only occur in html mode, and usually but not invariably. Sometimes an email will edit with one Del every time; other times some deletes require two presses, and sometimes one. Changing to plain text always stops it, and if a particular html email is showing the problem, changing to plain stops it, and changing back to html starts it again. So, as you say, OL 2000 is not a good editor for html. I will have to make less spelling mistakes! My memory is that this did not occur with Outlook 98. Maybe its another case of MS making an "improvement" with a sting in the tail. (I note this random need for two Deletes is occurring in this message too). Thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW I've used highlight (either with the arrow key or even the mouse cursor) and then overtype/delete - for as long as I can remember. Don't know where I picked it up. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Well, having to press Del twice in a TextArea control in an HTML form suggests a more serious underlying problem with IE or one of its many DLLs. Not sure if updating IE would help. I'm using IE 5.5 SP2 and it's a good thing.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am using 5.5 SP 2. I can live with this as just another mystery "not-quite-working" thing (like not being able to use System Restore in two different instals of Windows Me for example). Initially I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a known problem with a known fix. I now know that I don't, although it is interesting that I have this problem on each of the three computers I use, all on OL 2000, but otherwise somewhat different. Next time I do a complete reboot and reinstall I will try to take note of when this happens. Thanks for your interest.