Thanks

Web Archive (MHTML) Files ??? (Off2000-XP/IE5-6)

MS has integrated the MIME HTML archive option into IE and Office XP, and there are add-ins for Word 2000 to open and save in .MHT format. A web archive is a text file that looks something like "raw" e-mail. It contains the HTML code of a page and images in a standard encoded format. The advantage, compared with the "Save Complete Web Page" option, is that it is all-in-one. When opened in IE 5+, it is unpacked to a temp folder and displayed from there.

One of our vendors provides its online reports only in HTML format and recommends downloading in the MHT format. We have found it very difficult to edit these files, for two reasons. First, even if you edit the MHT in a text editor, IE does not refresh its temp copy. To see your changes, you literally have to rename the file. This is very annoying; if anyone knows a workaround, I'd love to hear it. Second, the converter for Word 2000 (and, I suspect, XP), attempts to replicate all of the table nesting of HTML within the margins of a document, creating hideous display errors, wrapping of cells, and other problems.

I think this format is growing in importance. MS suggests using it as a workaround for various Office bugs, HTML-related and otherwise (see Knowledgebase articles). I'd like to get a handle on this before it becomes an emergency.

Does anyone have any experiences with or suggestions for working with these files?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Web Archive (MHTML) Files ??? (Off2000-XP/IE5-6)

doesn't shift+refresh load the new file?

Thanks

Re: Web Archive (MHTML) Files ??? (Off2000-XP/IE5-6)

No, and I'm speculating as to the explanation: I think the browser doesn't look beyond the temp folder to see if the original web archive (typically on the desktop) has been changed. Worse: re-opening the changed .MHT doesn't refresh the temp folder; I have to rename the MHT and then re-open it to see the changes.

I'm using 5.5; maybe this was fixed later?