New Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing 'Close Document' Button (Word 2000)

On several of my Word documents, the little "close document" X button on the upper right hand corner of the document window is missing. I've had to close the document from the File menu, or place the "close document" icon on my tool bar. Is there a switch buried somewhere in Word that controls the appearance/disappearance of the little "close document" X button?

Thanks in advance,

Howard Yamaguchi

Thanks

Re: Disappearing 'Close Document' Button (Word 2000)

I don't think there is an option to show or not show the X button in the user interface. Possibly it could be manipulated through VBA, for example, if you are in an environment where the X could bypass a document management system.

Is there any pattern? Is it related to launching .DOC files in a browser or as an embedded objected from another application?

If it's not consistent, it could be a sign that Windows is about to tank and you should restart...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply. I believe it happens mostly in some *.dot templates that I've inherited or acquired from somebody else. (None of the documents I make have that problem!)

I'd hoped that there was a switch, but I couldn't find any either that turns the X on and off. But thanks for your assistance!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does the DocClose X vanish if all you have open is that one document?

In my cursory testing just now, if I open one document -- template or normal -- then I have the DocClose.

As soon as I open a second document, I do not.

This may be a residual effect of Word going from MDI to separate instance of the Word.application. If you click the Application Close on Docuement 2, it doens't close the application -- it acts like DocClose and close only that instance. Then Document1 re-acquires the DocClose x.

When down to a single document and you DocClose X, you are left with the Word Application blank.

I"m using Word 2K

New Lounger
    Thanks

Guy,

You are right! The little "x" disappears in the second instance of the file, or when I open another file while the first one is open. I have the system set up so that a new window opens when I either fetch another instance of the file or when I open a different file.

Interesting... thank you for your insight!

Howard