New Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge optional Fields (97/2k)

Hi

In the mail merge there is a option to map fields to ones in my data source. I have tried to do this from those listed but they are not used in the merge have to add the fields manually. Initially using the wizard

Moris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge optional Fields (97/2k)

Hello Moris,

Can you rephrase this? It's not clear to me what your question is.
    You must create or link a valid data source for your mail merge document (in step 2 of the mail merge wizard) before you can select merge fields from the list. Until you've done that, the Insert Merge Field button will remain greyed out.

Regards,
    Hans

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the response and sorry that the original message was not clear. I did leave out a vital item

I have a data source that has certain fields I select the source. Now in version XP you have an Address block. What the problem is - is that if I have mapped(matched) a column in my data source to ones that appear in the option section of the matched field window they do not appear in the Address Block etc

The questions are should they if so how and if not... ?

Thanks for your patient

Moris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry; I don't have XP, so I can't help you here. I hope somebody else will post a reply.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I presume you are having trouble with Step 3 of 6 in the Mail Merge Wizard in Word XP - (your 97/2k mislead us). The next question is what format your data source is in - is it a Word document, an Excel spreadsheet, Outlook contacts, or a database of some description? Another question is what you chose in Step 1 of 6 - are you creating a letter?

The mail merge in Word XP has changed dramatically from the way it worked in 97 and 2000, not necessarily for the better. The most fundamental change is that Microsoft switched from DDE to OLE DB as the default connection method in Word XP. A recent issue of Woody's Access Watch explored some of the problems and work arounds, though I don't know if it will help with your situation.

To be of more help, we will need details about how you are trying to do the merge. It might also be useful to post the data source and main document if they are relatively small and not confidential.
    Wendell