3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting words with VBA (XP/2002)

Two related questions:

1. How does Words.Count count words? For example, "4+5/16" gets counted as 5 words (I'm assuming that this is "4", "+", "5", "/" and "16", but I could be wrong).

2. How would I go about picking up the whole word under a cursor, regardless of how much is selected?

I'm trying to write a macro that will format fractions - in the example above, the + separates the whole number from the fraction (it will get deleted) and the numbers to the left of the / will be superscript while those to the right will be subscript. Assuming I cana read the text, the rest is easy, but I want to make sure that I have the whole "fraction" selected before I start, plus I want to be able to perform the operation on all the words in a selection one at a time if more that one word is selected. It's this selection bit that's giving me the grief - Excel VBA I understand, but Word VBA doesn't seem as intuitive and I don't really know where to start.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Selecting words with VBA (XP/2002)

1. I'm not sure about the first question. Word 97 counts "4+5/16" as one word unless I put in spaces "4 + 5 / 16". Then it counts as 5 words.

2. You might try

Dim strDelim As String
    strDelim = " " & vbCr & vbTab
    Selection.MoveStartUntil strDelim, wdBackward
    Selection.MoveEndUntil strDelim, wdForward

Here, a space, line feed and tab are used as delimiter. If your formula may be followed by a comma or period, add those:

strDelim = " ,." & vbCr & vbTab

and you can add other delimiters, of course.

This doesn't work for a "word" immediately before or after a table.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for (2) - I'll give it a go.

As for (1), you get different answers depending on how you ask the question. For example, in a blank document, enter the phrase

<pre>The journey will take 1+1/2 hours.</pre>

Using Tools | Word Count correctly gives you 6 words. Now create a macro and run the code:

<pre>MsgBox ActiveDocument.Words.Count</pre>

Twelve. Not six, twelve. (Specificially "The ", "journey ", "will ", "take ", "1", "+", "1", "/", "2 ", "hours" and "." plus one for the paragraph mark / carriage return, which you can find by looking at each of the elements of the Words collection in turn).

I've either misunderstood the Words collection, or a very large scream is about due here!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,

You're right about (1). I had only tried Tools/Count words... In Word 97, Words.Count in VBA acts the same way you described for XP. Very strange.

Regards,
    Hans

Thanks

It took a while to find the equivalent VBA code for the Word Count dialog, but here it is:

lngWordCount = Selection.Range.ComputeStatistics(wdStatisticWords )