3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fast switch kills keyboard (Win XP Home)

If I activate fast user switching i find that I lose the use of the keyboard when I switch. Everything else is fine.

I had problems with the shift key resetting the whole computer but that was, I think, a dud keyboard.

It is a pain having to reconnect to the ISP just because I want to check my wifes/childrens e-mail.

Any ideas?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fast switch kills keyboard (Win XP Home)

Don't know 'bout that keyboard problem. I can't remember why, but there was some negative reason that I turned OFF fast user switching. XP was preventing me from doing something.

On the mail question, I don't know what you use, but Mozilla's multiple mail accounts works like a charm. Don't know if the same thing could be said about the cobbled-up Netscape versions. In my Mozilla program I have three email accounts setup and it works great.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a short followup. I think it was the remote control software I'm using that wouldn't work when Fast User Switching was turned on. However, I just read the XP Help (I'm using Pro) and it says that FUS and some Accessibility option having to do with the keyboard conflict. Do you (accidently or on purpose) have any Accessibility options for the KB turned on?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checked that - it is not the problem. I even tried putting serial keys on and then off and it still didn't work.

The odd thing is that I bought 2 computers from the same large store at the same time and I do not have the problem with the other one. The only real difference in what I have done is I have connected the problem one to a network. I have checked that there are no conflicts in the network cards resources.

I also tried removing the keyboard in Devices and let windows discover and restore it.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I might take it back to the shop but I am not sure they will have any idea what to do.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just in case anyone else has this problem:

It was probably a driver problem. Solved by a complete format and reinstall of WinXP, and everything else.

Thanks for your help.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia