New Lounger
    Thanks

new fields:table to form (Access 2000)

After creating a form, I sometimes find that I need to add another field to the table. I add it to the table but the field doesn't get refreshed on the field list when i'm in form design view. Is there a way I can do this? I know now that perhaps I should add extra generic field names to my table to help eliminate the problem. Please help!
    Thanks,
    Acede

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: new fields:table to form (Access 2000)

1. If you add a field to the table while the form is open in design view, the field won't be added to the field list of the form. You must close the form (and save it if necessary) and re-open it in design form before you will see the new field.

2. If the form is based on a query based on the table, you must add the new field to the query, unless you have tblWhatever.* in the query, or set the Output All Fields property of the query to Yes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: new fields:table to form (Access 2000)

Do NOT add generic field names to your table for any reason! That's the worst possible kind of table design. You should have only the fields you really need in your table, and every one of them should relate to the central fact of that table.

If you find you need to add fields to the table *after* you create a form, you may be doing the design backwards. It happens, yes, but if you are adding things like Home Address, Mailing Address, Business address in the same table, then the table is not properly designed in the first place.
    Charlotte