2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

can i rename a database from code? (Access 2000)

i want to rename a database outside the current database i am working in. The path of the database is C:BEstoreNewDB.mdb
    The name of the database is NewDB.MDB. How can i rename it to Students.mdb, through a code from the current database?
    I have a form in this dataabse and in the OnClick event i want to rename the dtabase NewDB.mdb.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: can i rename a database from code? (Access 2000)

Use the VB instruction Name. Its format is

Name oldname As newname

The arguments are strings.

In your case

Name "C:BEStoreNewDB.mdb" As "Students.mdb"

If you want to move the database to another folder, you must also supply a path for newname.

The Name instruction won't overwrite an existing file. If you want to replace an existing file, you must delete it first with the Kill instruction.

Thanks

Hans,

Could you please provide more info on the Kill instruction. This looks to be something I could use. What Object and Class is it?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,
    Kill is just a statement.
    Kill "C:My DocumentsMyFile.mdb"
    will delete the file MyFile.mdb in the directory c:My Documents, the same as you would delete it in explorer.
    Francois

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As noted you can use Kill statement to delete a file or files. It is one of the older statements in VB/VBA that are still present primarily to provide backwards compatability. If you need to do a lot of file manipulation - moving, copying, creating, or deleting files & folders - determining if a file or folder exists - getting a file or folder path - etc, etc - instead of using archaic VB statements, I'd recommend using the File System Object model for file manipulation functions. This object model provides a full set of properties and methods for working with files, folders, and drives in a more sophisticated (ie, object oriented) fashion than that provided by older VB statements. It's available in VB/VBA 6.0 and later. To use the FSO set a reference in VBE to the Microsoft Scripting Runtime library (../SYSTEM32/SCRRUN.DLL). For more info see VB "Help" files (you'll have to dig around to find the FSO help files...).

On the other hand, "Kill" works just fine if you simply want to delete a file.

HTH