New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Multiple Slides w/Comments (Office XP)

It seems pretty obvious as to how one can print multiple slides on a single piece of paper (2, 4, or 6... vertical or landscape...). But what I can't figure out is how to print 2 or more slides AND include comments on a single sheet of paper.

I'm working with a Powerpoint presentation that is quite large, and would like to save paper when printing it (and my talking points) out.

Thanks!
    Frank

Thanks

Re: Printing Multiple Slides w/Comments (Office XP)

I don't have XP, but if it works similarly to 2000, you can print a side-by-side format by first sending it to Word.
    See File|Send To|Microsoft Word... and try the first option pictured below. You should get 3 per page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your lead! I didn't know about that function.

But then we're talking about Office here, and it of course doesn't work. Albeit, I have a large Powerpoint (110 slides), but that's why I'm interested in printing more than one to a page!

The problem occurs after you choose Send To|Word... it goes very very slowly, and after about 5 minutes, I get an odd error message. It's something to the effect of: "Powerpoint cannot be used as a server" Huh?

Anyway, it seems as if it's a computationally intense exercise/conversion. But I shouldn't be having a problem... I have 192 MB RAM, and an 800Mhz processor on my ThinkPad.

Any additional thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Frank

Thanks

I have lots of additional thoughts, but they involve some programming. Recently I've been writing routines to generate "6-up" handouts in HTML format; that probably could be adapted to show the notes, but this doesn't transfer readily to Word. Word can open an HTML document but it's not a pretty sight.

As a short term workaround, you could Save As a few times to break up the presentation into smaller pieces and try the Send To again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried numerous times to execute this conversion (ie, from Powerpoint to Word), but Office just doesn't want to cooperate! I must be doing something wrong, because I can't believe it's this difficult!

The actual conversion goes very slowly. Choosing Send To | Microsoft Word, then selecting the option (3 slides and notes per page) can't be that laborious to the system. Or, can it? My Powerpoint presentation is not remarkable, albeit large. It's 106 slides, and takes up about 6MB. (OK, 6 MB might have been enormous a couple of years back, but we live with it today.) The computer crashes each time I've attempted this, so I broke the file into two 3MB/50 slide parts. Very slowly, it converts each of these files into Word docs (it takes about 6-7 minutes to do this conversion for each half).

Shockingly, the Word files created are about 17MB each! So, what's up with this?

Alright, so I've got a big hard drive (20GB) and I'll live with these files... but they simply won't open! Can it be my computer (800mhz w/192MB RAM isn't state of the art, but neither is it a turtle).

Is this just a MS Office glitch, or am I doing something wrong!?

Thanks,
    Frank

Thanks

Maybe this is something they toyed with (and messed up) in XP?

I am just too zonked right now to work on coding around it, but you could try something like this:

(1) Export all slides as PNGs of an appropriate size (e.g., 320x240). This part, I have the code for:

<pre>Sub SlideToPNG()
    If MsgBox("Export all slides as PNG images?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo) _
    = vbNo Then Exit Sub
    Dim strPath As String, aSlide As Slide
    strPath = "c:test_vba" & Left(ActivePresentation.Name, _
    InStr(1, ActivePresentation.Name, ".") - 1)
    If Dir(strPath & "*.*") = vbNullString Then
    MkDir strPath
    End If
    For Each aSlide In ActivePresentation.Slides
    aSlide.Export strPath & "slide" & Trim(Str(aSlide.SlideIndex)) & ".png", "png", 320, 240
    Next
    End Sub</pre>

(2) Write a second procedure, which could be called at the end of the first, to populate the Word document by creating a two cell table and then in the left cell, inserting the graphic from disk and in the right cell, pasting in the notes for that slide. Using Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell should pop you into the first column on a new row of the table, etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

when I first saw this thread, my thought was along the lines of what you are now getting to. I just tried a quick experiment. It seems like one could do the following (pseudo VBA):
    set up a word document with a 1-row table 'I think this could be done from within the ppt VBE; there _
    'were some threads somewhere on working on a different appl's VBE
    for each slide...
    view as ppViewNotes
    select shape1 'usually the mini-slide
    copy selection
    paste-special the selection as a picture with float over text (for 97; equivalent in XP) unchecked
    move to the next word-table column 'as you have
    select shape2 'usually the comments box
    copy selection
    paste-special the selection 'as above
    move to the next word-table column 'ie add a new row by moving right as you did - assumes the 1-row table initially
    next 'slide

Some caveats:
    -since you can find how many slides were in the presentation from a .Count property, you could dimension the
    Word table as Count rows by 2 cols
    -in the first paste-special, there may be other paste-special options in 2000/XP that bring the clipboard's contents into Word as an in-line shape; you don't want to have this float over text
    - when copying shape2, it would probably be better to select the contents of shape2, rather than the shape itself. If the contents are all text, that's great so you can paste it in some text format. Selecting the text rather than the shape is better because the cell height in Word will be governed by the mini-slide rather than the comment shape, which may have a lot of blank space in it.
    - there may be other shapes on the notes portion of the slide (I have a friend who adds all kinds of other things below the mini-slide). In this case, it didn't sound like there would be. But having an arbitrary number of shapes per slide would make the job harder
    - I think there was a Word thread some time last year that talked about bringing in pictures, probably via paste, with pre-determined dimensions. This might be something that's desirable for shape1 (the mini-slide).

I learned some of the above making a macro for this friend to create an "index" slide that lists all slides with Notes on them.

Just a thought.

Fred