Thanks

Sluggish mouse (Win98SE)

Recently I have begun experiencing VERY sluggish mouse response with my Logitech Mouseman+ - usually when I am online or afterward, the cursor responds very poorly, and it takes 2 or 3 tries before I successfully click (left or right) - the cursor movement is very jumpy and intermittent. I downloaded and installed the newest drivers from Logitech and it hasn't helped. Control Panel hasn't changed any, and changing settings there doesn't help, either. Right now I notice also that when I am typing and backspacing the response is just as intermittent and jumpy. But these things only happen when I am online (or afterward) - they're OK if I don't go online at all.
    Have a cookie -

Don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sluggish mouse (Win98SE)

dj,

If you have a spare keyboard you might want to try using it and see if the problem re-occurs. It could be a worn-out keypad problem. The mouse cord should be away from other electic goodies.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Well, it may be too early to be sure, but it might have been...
    Norton AV for Win95 with a patch to make it "compatible" with Win98. I just uninstalled it and both my KB and mouse (so far, at least) aren't sluggish. I'll give it a while to make sure and then post my 'findings' here. I used to swear by Norton products. Now I swear AT them.
    Have a cookie -

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks

Have you recently installed Quarterdeck Cleansweep. This has a number of functions including and internet watch. I installed this and my mouse became sluggish and jerky after I had been online or my computer was on for a few hours without using it. I have disabled the internet watch and the problem has been resolved.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi dj:

It sounds like some activity is going on in the background. It could also be that you're losing resources. I've noticed with my operating system, Win98SE, that after I've opened & closed windows for awhile, my resources are way down. They've gotten as low as 5%. Then it's time to reboot before the crash.

One thing you can do is run the resource meter "Rsrcmtr.exe", & see if resources are low. The other thing you can do is download a utility that was discussed in Software Finds called, Filemon. This will give you a list of what's running in the background. You can download it at
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml</A>

Hope this helps.

ileacy

Filemon is useful, but may provide way too much information at first glance.

HandleEx from the same site, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handleex.shtml>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr...handleex.shtml</A> will give you a useful static view of all the processes running on your system AND the handles opened by the processes. In W98, handles are used for files and DLLs. So, it gives you a way to see exactly which files are opened by which process. Very instructive to look at Outlook.EXE and IExplore.EXE processes. You should review the processes listed here to familiarize yourself with your system before running Filemon

When you use FILEMON for the first time, type CTRL+E as soon as you start to turn off capturing. After that you should check the help and look at the menu options. In particular, check the hotkeys assigned. You will find that use Ctrl+E(Enable/Disable Capture) and Ctrl-X(Clear Log) a lot.

Under Edit|Filters(Ctrl+L), a useful filter to set is Exclude: "iexplore;ostart;filemon;win386.swp", you need the semi-colons, you don't need the quotes. This should exclude enough "normal" background activity to give you a meaningful log true "other" activity.

Good Luck

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ian!

You are a wealth of information! You must have a ton of stuff you've never had time to use. If I get any more gadgets, I'm going to have to clean house--or I'll never use 'em.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

ileacy

Not really. We just seem to have a common interest in certain types of threads.

What I actually have is really good notes, and, a very organized approach to research and testing. I am pretty selective in what I use. It has to fufill a need. Otherwise it is off to the archives.

I subscribe to a lot of e-zines. About 1 in 10 of the items I see referenced catch my interest enough to take a closer look. About 1 in 5 of those look useful enough to download. About 1 in 5 of the downloads become long term keepers. And some of them are just so darn useful they are in my startup group.

But, I have notes on *every* package I have ever taken a look at and I have archived copies of *everything* I have ever downloaded or installed.

ileacy

PS: Most of my notes are in Outlook, and most of those started as drag and drop from e-mail or webpages.

I almost never use paper.

Thanks

Phil, Ian -

I'll give this all a try and keep my fingers crossed. Who would've thought that with 256MB of RAM I'd need to monitor my resources? But then, it's Microsoft we're talking about.
    And while it's on my mind, and I'm on this forum, back in Win3.1 days I remember using an applet (written by Woody, iirc) called Samsara, that did a fantastic job of monitoring resources and returning them to the fold once they weren't needed any more (Excel 5.0 comes to mind as a major resource abuser). Is Samsara still around in any form?

Thanks!
    Have a cookie -

Don

ileacy

Good luck.
    You might want to look at this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=98&Number=952&page=&view=&s b=&vc=1>thread</A> for more info on Resource Leaks.

Thanks

Ian,

I have been having so many PC problems lately it's hard to keep track of them all, or keep up-to-date on all my inquiries here. But here is a more complete and more recent description of the problem I'm having:

Every time I use my PC (Win98SE) and mouse (Logitech Mouseman+ with wheel, non-USB) I eventually experience a severe degradation of mouse performance - the cursor is jumpy and sluggish and as time passes I need to click more and more times in order to perform that task; also, when clicking on a hyperlink (after this degradation has begun) the link is not activated until I move the cursor away from the link, even if the click was successful.
    I originally thought this was related to being online, since it would only happen, at first, when I was using Outlook Express 5 (while online). But it happens after I shut down OE, or even if I don't use it at all during a session, or even if I never go online during a session. It is very aggravating - I have upgraded to the latest driver software, and have checked so many things I can't remember them all.
    I did notice this last night, however - from time to time (as far as I'm aware, if I keep the PC on long enough I will definitely get this error) I get a system error naming 1200 ED Watch as the culprit (involving kernel32, I believe) - when I run msconfig I see that Watch is an option I can shut off, but I haven't since I don't know what it is for. I can't find mention of it in the Microsoft KB, or on the Logitech website, but I assume it's a Windows file but I can't verify that. Whenever I get this error, however, I can't C-A-D to shut any apps down, I can't close the error message even though it gives me the button to do that, and after I try to close the error message I hear a buzzing from the box whenever I move the mouse (that's why I wonder if it's mouse-related).
    I'd better cut this short before I crash the server, but I will provide any more info anyone asks for.
    (1 more thing - since this started (about 2 weeks ago) I either cannot shut down Win98 completely (either shutdown or restart), or it takes several minutes (I'm talking between 10 & 20 minutes) to do so. It will close down Explorer and all I have showing is my wallpaper. Don't know if the problems are related, but I'm suspicious by nature.)

Hope this sheds some light on what's happening.

Thanks,

dj
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks

Problem solved! Watch is an application loaded when I installed the software for a Mustek scanner I borrowed from a friend for a few days. I can't be sure, but I suppose the slowdown began when I disconnected the scanner to return it. Uninstalling the scanner software did the trick.
    Have a cookie -

Don