3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Upgrade Issues (2000/97)

Hi all,

I have a client who is upgrading from 97 to 2000 and wants to know what to expect in excel.

As I have been using XP for some time my memory is fuzzy. Can anyone point me to a good web resource on the issues. I seem to remember that labels have to be enabled in each worksheet, some funny things happen with cell referencing when cutting and pasting, but would really like to provide them with a comprehensive list of what they can expect, not just the MS speel in the What's new in this version bit.

Any help much appreciated

2 Star Lounger
    Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade Issues (2000/97)

Hmmmm If memory serves, when I upgraded, it was reasonably seamless. However, if you look in help under Contents and Index in Excel 2000, there is a chapter on 'If you are upgrading from a previous version..." and 'Whats new in Excel 2000' .

These at least will give you a start.

PS I am replying at work (where they still use Off 97, and so although the above topice relating to XL 97 are in help, I am not sure if is ame in XL2000)

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Upgrade Issues (2000/97)

Thanks Devious,

I have read the help but it is the usual MS guff.

I know for instance that the new feature of ListAutoFill can mess up your formulas big time. For example I have a sheet where rows 1-15 contain dollar values, row sixteen contains a number of items value, the formula in row 17 sums rows 1-15. Each sheet contains a month's data. My previous process was to copy the sheet at the end of the month, delete the data, while leaving the formulas.

With this new feature in Excel 2000 (also in XP) when you fill in the figures in column C it changes the formula in C17 to sum rows 1-16 - it drove me nuts until I worked out what was happening.

I am just wondering if there are any other traps out there...