Thread: Watermark (97)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Watermark (97)

Watermark
    My document is more less a giant table. Now I have some cells that relate to start & end date & I would like some background text (watermark?) to appear in these cells that show MM/DD/YY because when people use my form & type in something like Friday, July 05, 2002 the cells expand, throwing off the rest of the table formatting I did & making the document print out over 2 pages instead of 1.

While trying to install this MM/DD/YY watermark though with a text box, I cannot get it to fit into a table cell. The watermark will simply split the table into two tables wherever it appears, it will refuse to exist inside a cell which is where I want it to go. Please advise.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Watermark (97)

Is this what you are trying to do? I formatted the text box with no borders and Layout > Behind Text.

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well yeah, that looks like it, but when I tried it out on my side the results stay the same. Note that I am working with a pre existing table here. These are the steps I

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't quite follow your steps

> View
    > Header / Footer
    OK, so you're going to put your text box in the header

> Show/Hide document text
    This isn't really necessary, but it shouldn't do any harm

> Insert
    > Text Box
    So you have now inserted a text box in the header. Where do you put this - behind the main document text?

> Header / Footer
    I don't know what this one meant.

Can you post your document, we may be able to see your problem more easily.

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I answer your questions below & post a copy of the form, note that I want the mm/dd/yy to appear in the 4 cells on the upper half of the form beneath the headings START DATE and END DATE as background watermark.

> Insert
    > Text Box
    >>So you have now inserted a text box in the header. Where do you put this - behind the main document text?
    When I

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by jscher2000 on 05-Jul-02 14:42.</P>How about an exit macro that conforms the date to the proper format?

Oh, sorry, you're not using form fields...

You can configure tables not to "auto-size" to prevent the cells from distorting. You can add a line of "sample data" to give people the hint about the proper format, if it isn't evident from another other instructions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I also agree with Jefferson.

Why not just put dd/mmm/yyyyy in the box as sample text.

Your other alternative would be to replace the entire table with Word form fields, this will take you quite a bit of time but will yield a much more predictable and maintainable result.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Word 97, but I have put one text box in using Word2000, does this do what you want? If so then you should be able to copy and paste it behind the other cells.

Word97 doesn't have the range of Font colours that Word2000 does, but I think you should be able to change the text box to a light grey font.

StuartR

[Edited by StuartR, woops forgot the attachment]