New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Gannt Charts (Project 2000)

I having trouble printing Gannt Charts. When I select a specific page or time period to print the print out does not inlcude the time line although the timeline is included in the print preview. I have tried several printers, thinking that it maybe a printer a problem, but get the same result.

Any help please. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Printing Gannt Charts (Project 2000)

The timeline may have been reset. After selecting Print Preview and you see the preview you want, you select print. Before selecting OK on the Print screen to print, review the settings for the Print Range and TimeScale. You can use Print Range to control which pages print or timescale to select a particular timescale range to print.

Most often, when this happens, the timescale is set to a different time period that you would want. Re-setting the timescale to the correct period should correct the problem.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I have now set the timescale to 'All' and then tried just printing specific pages. When I select to print pages 1-4 for example, the timeline prints correctly on all pages, but when I select to print only pages 2-4 the timeline doesn't print on any of the pages.

Maybe I should explain what I want to achieve. I have developed a project that spans several months and is split into three phases. I want to produce a printout to show to a potential funder of the project. If I print the whole project it will be about 16 pages - so what I want to do is to just print the timeline (i.e. the bars that indicate when the tasks will take place) that corresponds with the relevant tasks. That is, not print all the blank pages where there is no activity for a particular task. In order to get all the bars that relate to a particular phase (i.e. set of tasks) together I need to be able to define exactly where each page printed (in terms of which task is at the top of the page and the date range) begins and ends. My idea was to manually insert page breaks (to define the tasks range I want to print), define the date range that I want to print and then using print preview select the page that I want to print. I am sure there must be an easier way but I cant quite figure it out.

If you have any suggestions I would be grateful. Hope the above makes some sense. If not let me know I shall try to improve my explanation.

Thanks for all your help.

Stephen

New Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I am understanding the problem a little better now but still not found a solution. What I notice is that if I print any page which includes the 'first task' then the time-line will be printed correctly but if I print a page that does not include the 'first task' the time-line is not printed. All other column headings are pinted on all pages - no problem there.

Stephen

Thanks

I think I understand what you are doing. Here are some ideas or options you can do that might help:

1. To get rid of blank pages (if there are alot) try File / Print Preview / Page Setup and select the View tab. Uncheck the box for blank pages.

2. Create a filter. If there are summary tasks or tasks that represent the work without underlying detailed tasks, set a filter that selects these tasks and print only the filtered tasks.

3. To reduce the view of the timescale on the printout, change the major and minor scales of the Gantt. (Double click on the timescale on the gantt and reset the major and minor scales to make the printed area smaller. For instance, if Major is Month and minor is day, try Major of Year and Minor to Month.

Just some ideas....

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)