New Lounger
    Thanks

Novelist Needs Help! (WORD 97)

We have a manuscript about to go to press, and are almost ready to convert to Pre-flight .pdf. However -- I am at my wit's end to solve one last formatting problem. The Header on the Even (left-hand) pages is easy: It's the book's title. The Header on the Odd (right-hand) pages contains only the page numbers, centered. Which is fine for 99% of the book, all except the 31 pages which are also the start of new Chapters - all of which start on Odd pages. We wish to remove the numbers from only those pages, and although I've tried creating new sections for them, I'm only making things worse because I've never worked with sections before. If there's anyone out there who would be willing to get the file and remove those numbers, we'd be happy to send them a free autographed copy of the book (The Last Bastion -- just named a finalist in this year's Independent Ebook Awards) when the Trade Paperback comes out this fall, or a free Ebook now; whichever they'd prefer. Simply reply to the email listed in this post.

Thanks,

Lisa (factotum@writerscollective.net)

Thanks

Re: Novelist Needs Help! (WORD 97)

Lisa, if you have an odd-page section break at the beginning of each chapter, you should in theory be able to turn on "different first page header" and blank it out. See the attached, which was done up in Word 2000 but, in principle, should work the same. Note that you need to "select all" to be sure the additional header is created in every section.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

You wrote:

>> if you have an odd-page section break at the beginning of each chapter, you should in theory be able to turn on "different first page header" and blank it out. See the attached, which was done up in Word 2000 but, in principle, should work the same. Note that you need to "select all" to be sure the additional header is created in every section. <<

Sorry, but this did not work for me, partially because I don't understand what you're saying and partially because when I tried to figure it out, different sections were created, with blank (un-numbered) pages for the beginning of each chapter -- as I had managed to do myself yesterday -- but once again, the numbering started only from that point, rather than be continuous from page one.

And your attachment didn't come through as an attachment, but only an html web page, which I couldn't open in WORD.

I would really appreciate your help, but doing it here in posts won't do it for me. If you'd be kind enough to respond via email (and send the attachment), I might be able to figure it out. Please write to:
    factotum@writerscollective.net

Thanks!

Lisa

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe too late to say this but...

make sure you are working with a backup copy!