New Lounger
    Thanks

Starting and ending tasks

[img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img]I must be missing something. I want to end one task and start a new task on the same day. If I link the tasks as they should be, it appears that ending one and starting another task on the same day is impossible. The only way I have been able to get around this is by not linking the tasks, which thereby defeats the purpose of the automation.
    Any ideas.
    Thanks!
    Randy

knoway

Re: Starting and ending tasks

Project aligns the start of a task at the beginning of a planning period, and the end of the task at the end of the planning period. So your end date will be interpreted as being the end of the day. Hence the linked task will start on the beginning of the next day.

You could try shortening your task by a fraction of a day, like saying 4.5 days instead of 5 days. You could try doing the same thing by planning in hours rather than days. Or you could force the issue by specifying a negative lag (-1 days) on the subsequent task link.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. I schedule all work by hours. It still seems to force the next linked task to start on the next day. I haven't tried the lag days idea, but will try that today.
    Have a great weekend!
    - Randy[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]

Lounger
    Thanks

Another option is to work in a view such as the Task Usage View, and manipulate the timescale (using zoom in/zoom out buttons) such that you can control when the hours for a particular task are scheduled. This will only work however if you've assigned resources and hence "work" has been calculated.
    As for the partial day duration as was mentioned previously as a suggestion, the only way I can figure that your task is still ending at the end of the day, is that your scheduling method is "by project finish date", and hence all tasks, by default, have the constraint, "as late as possible". If this is the case, and you create a 12 hour task (1.5 days), it will perhaps start mid-day on the 1st day and end at the "end" of the 2nd day involved in the task. To avoid this, change the constraint on the task to "as soon as possible". (this all is only possible if the tasks are not on the critical path, and hence there is free slack time).