New Lounger
    Thanks

Notification or Reminder type form?

I am trying to create a set of forms in Access 2K....which are basically for notification to the user and gives them opportunity to print documents.

I have it set up so that the forms are opened thru the autoexec when database is opened. However, i only want these forms to be visible if in fact they contain data...and to send a message that "There are no XXX letters to be printed at this time".

For the life of me, i can't figure out how to go about doing this. I am using a set of macro commands to open the forms which are all based on parameter queries.

If someone could point me in the right direction, i would be most appreciative....

Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notification or Reminder type form?

Roseanne,

When you say "macro", you are talking about Access macros, right? It sometimes gets confusing because "macro" in other VBA applications means code routines, so I wanted to be sure.

If you are talking about Access macros, they're your main problem. Macros can be handy for quickly prototyping an operation, but they lack flexibility. If you created a code routine to open your forms, you could capture the input parameters once, pass them to the successive parameter queries, test each form for an empty recordset and not display that form under those circumstances. You could even build a message string as you went along to tell the user the list of letter types that were not available, rather than a series of message boxes. You could still use an AutoExec macro to call the code routine, but not for any actual control of the forms.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notification or Reminder type form?

Charlotte,

Yes, I have an Access macro opening my forms. I was hoping to get this done without having to write code but I realize now that it is a little too complicated for a macro. Having never actually had to deal with recordsets (via code that is)is what my problem is....guess i have some reading to do!

Thanks for the input.....