New Lounger
    Thanks

Unknown PCI Device

Hello. This isn't really a problem, just an annoyance.

I have the following setup: 800 MHz Pentium III on an ASUS AUSL2 Motherboard (Intel 815E Chipset). My system includes an AOpen PA256MX Video Card, D-Link DFE 538-TX 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, U.S. Robotics 56K Fax Modem, Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI Sound Card, HP CD Writer+ 8290 USB, Epson Perfection 1600U USB Scanner, Logitech Serial Mouse, Acer 40X CD Rom, HP DeskJet 882C, and an LG Studioworks 995E Monitor.

Everything works just fine. I dual boot the computer to Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. Under Windows 98, everything is recognized in Control Panel / System. However, when running Windows 2000, the System control insists that I have an unknown PCI Device. I have checked every CD for a driver for it, and have downloaded recent drivers for some of the older pieces of hardware. No luck; I can't get whatever it is recognized.

Any idea on how to proceed? I can certainly ignore it, but I'm just very curious as to what this thing could be.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John DeA

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Unknown PCI Device

Being a PCI device, is the network running ok?

How about the Modem, including the Fax portion?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I admit up front that I don't know nuttin' 'bout no Win2K, but my usual procedure in other versions of Windows would be to DELETE the entry in Device Manager. Then, reboot the computer and see what Windows sez when it "recognizes" another PCI device.

It was my experience in Win98 on a lot of computers that this very same problem popped up and we were never able to find out what it "thinks" the device is. Since I don't know much about Win2K I admit I don't know if there are other places in the Control Panel that you can go to try to identify what device it thinks it sees.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny isn't it that W98 can find drivers for an "unknown device"...I get messages like this usually when installing new modems in W98...