Mike B

URGENT HELP NEEDED...

I attempted to compact a database and got the message ""AOIndex' is not an indes in this table" with an OK button....when clicking the button Access remains open but the database fails to open now... I have attempted to build a new db and import the objects from the corrupted one with no success....anyone ever have this happen? and were you able to correct the situation with out having to rebuild the entire db....I have a backup but it is many changes ago......any suggestions much appreciated TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED...

Try downloading the JetComp utility from the MS site. It does a compact and repair without opening the database, so it might be able to fix it.

If AOIndex is the name of the database, then the problem is that the MSysObjects table in the database has become corrupted. If Jetcomp doesn't work (it doesn't always in this case), you have a lesson in why backups are necessary, because you will not be able to recover this database.
    Charlotte

Mike B

AOIndex is not the name of the database..the error says..."AOIndex is not an index in this table"...tried JetComp....message "error in compacting" ..

Mike B

as for the backup...just a question...how often do you backup the dbs that you are working on....hourly???

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: backups

Depends on how much work you are accepting to loose.
    I normally make a backup daily, so it is maximum a day work I loose if I need to restore a (part) of a backup.

Thanks

If you create a new database, can you access your broken database through Get External Data? If so, you could try to import as much of it as possible, in case you need to rebuild from an old backup. Best of luck.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might have to keep trying JetComp. Sometimes, it will take several tries before it finally manages to compact a database. This is even more true in Access 2000 than in 97, by the way.
    Charlotte