Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Backup copies of CD-ROMs

Hmmm, perhaps it's time for me to give in and buy a writable CD drive so I can make back up copies of my critical CDs.

What drives are recommended for such use in Win 2000?

Is special software needed in Win 2000?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backup copies of CD-ROMs

If you buy a CD-RW drive, it should come bundled with the software you need. Win2000 does not have any native support for writing CDs.

I've always been a fan of Drive Image, and the 2002 version takes that a step further, allowing you to interact with it completely from within Windows (no rebooting to work with the app). If it's just copies of CDs that you want to make, nearly every drive out there comes with facilities to do so. My personal preference is for Nero, but there are a whole range of applications that do it. Sony's bundled software leaves a lot to be desired - fair warning!
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you are considering upgrading your OS, XP has a built in CD writing wizard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Before I retired a year and a half ago, when "burn-proof" technology was all the latest in buzz words, I had VERY good luck with several Plextor drives where I worked. At the time, they were a little pricier than some, but we never had any problems with the hardware. Once again, at that time, the Plextor drives came with the Roxio (Adaptec) software and I didn't find any fault with it either. Keep in mind, my experiences are a tad old, by technology standards, and were all done at the Win98SE level. FWIW.....

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is too uncertain whether my current hardware will work unde rWin XP and I ain't got the time to find out the hard way.
    In any case, Win 2000 is quite adequate.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Of course, given the low(er) prices of PCs these daze, the most cost effective way to do this may be to purchase a new Win XP system that comes with a writable CD drive.

I'll likely need to get another PC for Office 2003, but I want to postpone the expenditure as long as I can.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

..make your mind up, my friend. XP is far more than merely 'adequate' - but in effect I said that yesterday...