New Lounger
    Thanks

Print Size (2000)

I am trying to print on preprinted stock certificates that are 8.5x15. I have gone into both the printer settings as well as page set-up and changed the dimensions but nothing works. Is there a maximum size you can print in Word?

It adds margins and then asks me if I want to fix or ignore, in print preview the left side of the page disappears because of the margin, it prints out on letter in portrait when its set up for landscape on 11x17. As soon as I change it back to 8.5x14(legal) its fine. But that doesn't help me print on the certificates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Print Size (2000)

Do you really need to print on the last inch of the certificate?

What you are getting is probably the default smarts/stupidity of Words page setup. The program can be told how big a page is BUT if that size is sufficiently close to an official page size then it gets stored as being that official page size. I guess the programmers thought they would help you out as they were sure you really meant that the paper was only 14 inches long.

If you try a page 16 inches long (and don't put anything on the last inch) does the page size stick? I'm pretty sure there will be a maximum page size but you shouldn't be running into it at this size. You could also check the printer driver. The available official page sizes depend on what printer is currently selected. For example if your printer doesn't do A3 then it won't be an option (an A3 is twice the area of an A4 for you imperialists).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's not the bottom inch--it's the left 3 or 4 inches and yes I need them.

I've tried 2 different printers and several different page sizes but it adds in that 4 inch margin no matter what size I use.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I can help, but do you have the latest printer driver? That can make a difference. I take it from what you've said that you can't add a larger size & increase the margins to make the "printed page" the size of your certificates.

Also, while I don't know a lot about printers, I know that some printers (drivers? limit your size when using their tray feeder, but allow custom sizes while using a different tray (at least I think mine does).

Let us know if this works or you come up with another answer..

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmmm. Now I'm puzzled. Have you set the page orientation to landscape? I am assuming that the page would go through the printer in a portrait orientation and therefore the print must rotate 90 degrees.

If you ignore the option to 'Fix' the margins, do you get to keep the available page area. Or can you then revisit the page setup and reduce the margins again.

If you are still having no success, do you really need to do this in Word? Is it your best option because you want a Mail Merge to fill in the data or do you only do one at a time. Do you have any page layout software available?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem has fixed itself as I found the latest version of the stock certificates on legal paper size in another cupboard.
    But it would sure be nice to know for the future.

The page set up is "Custom size" "8.5 x 15" "landscape" "margins 0"
    The printer is set up to page source "Bypass tray" "custom size" 8.5 x 15.
    I don't know about the printer drivers. I asked the tech guy about this problem and he had no advice so I assume he checked that.
    If I hit "Fix" when the margin error message comes up it puts in a 4" margin cutting off the left side. If I choose ignore, it prints on lettersize paper in portrait.

I am filling in for someone else who I assume knew what she was doing and obviously didn't have this problem and I'm using her file so I figure there's some way to fix it but apparently only she knows what it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!