Thread: Can't Use Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Use Files

After formating and installing Win 2k and restoring all my programs and data, Just about every file I try to use is listed as read only. I know I can open file properties and change it , but there must be a global setting someware I need to change but I don.t know how?

Thanks

Re: Can't Use Files

Did you backup and restore from a CD? - that would explain the read-only attribute.
    Theoretically, you should be able to do a Start > Search for files and folders, enter "*.*", wait until everything on your entire PC has been selected, then right_click and select properties.
    But I think it may be wise to be little selective in what you search for.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Use Files

Alternately to Leif's search suggestion, you can do this from a command prompt if you are a command-line jockey (most people these days are not) or from Windows Explorer as well.

For the command line, go to the folder that you want to start in. This will remove the read-only from all files in the current folder and all subfolders:
    <pre>ATTRIB -r *.* /S</pre>

In Explorer, select the group of files/folders in the right-hand pane and right-click on them. Holding CTRL while clicking will allow you to select/deselect in a non-contiguous way so you don't have to carpet-bomb the system. When you right-click on a selected file and choose properties, there will be a Read Only checkbox that may be partially checked (grayed out). De-select the checkbox and click apply.

Hope that helps,
    -Mark