New Lounger
    Thanks

margins and fonts (W2K Office 2000)

I use word to edit plain text files. I have vision impairment. I would like to open the files using Arial 16pt or Verdana 16pt since I find these the easiest fonts to read. I also do not want any margins since they just waste screen space. I never print the files so margins are no concern to me and just waste space for my purposes. I have changed to the settings I want and clicked to use them as default. No go. I have created a txt.dot file and used it. No dice. I even renamed Normal.dot and changed it. Still the same thing. If I create a new blank document all is well; but if I open an existing .txt file Word opens the file like it wants to instead of the way I want it to. Is there no way to change this ridiculous behavior?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: margins and fonts (W2K Office 2000)

The contents, styles and page zoom are stored in each individual WORD (.doc) file. If the legibility was fine last time you worked in the word file then when you open it - it will still be fine.

If the files are being saved as .txt (Text only format) then Word will open the file and apply formatting as per a stored style in the Normal.dot template. That style is called 'Plain Text'. If you modify that style to be 16pt (in the Normal.dot template) and try again what do you get. Make sure you leave the Normal.dot template in normal view if you want to be rid of the margins.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chess:
    A couple other ideas. Since a text file is not attached to any template, Word will attach normal.dot to it when you open & convert the file. If you record a macro (by clicking the "rec" button on the status bar), & name the macro AutoOpen, & apply whatever changes you want, Word will make these changes in every document that you open.

For Verdanna, 16 point, & a page with no margins or header/footers, & a zoom level as large as the screen will allow & still see the entire page, do the following:
    1. Open Word with a blank document.
    2. Press Alt+F8. A macro dialog box comes up.
    3. For a name, type "AutoOpen" (no quotes), & then click the button "Create".
    4. Paste the following macro in that I recorded:
    <pre>Sub AutoOpen()
    '
    ' AutoOpen Macro
    ' Macro recorded 7/10/02 by Phil Rabichow
    '
    Selection.WholeStory
    Selection.Font.Name = "Verdana"
    Selection.Font.Size = 16
    With ActiveDocument.PageSetup
    .LineNumbering.Active = False
    .Orientation = wdOrientPortrait
    .TopMargin = InchesToPoints(0)
    .BottomMargin = InchesToPoints(0)
    .LeftMargin = InchesToPoints(0)
    .RightMargin = InchesToPoints(0)
    .Gutter = InchesToPoints(0)
    .HeaderDistance = InchesToPoints(0)
    .FooterDistance = InchesToPoints(0)
    .PageWidth = InchesToPoints(8.5)
    .PageHeight = InchesToPoints(11)
    .FirstPageTray = wdPrinterDefaultBin
    .OtherPagesTray = wdPrinterDefaultBin
    .SectionStart = wdSectionNewPage
    .OddAndEvenPagesHeaderFooter = False
    .DifferentFirstPageHeaderFooter = False
    .VerticalAlignment = wdAlignVerticalTop
    .SuppressEndnotes = False
    .MirrorMargins = False
    .TwoPagesOnOne = False
    .GutterPos = wdGutterPosLeft
    End With
    ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitBestFit
    Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
    End Sub</pre>

5. Close Word, saving changes to normal.dot, if prompted.

Remember, every document that you open that is based on normal.dot will now have these settings. If you want to open a document without having these changes made, you will need to hold the shift key down while you open the document. Another option that I think you could use instead is to create a shortcut for each text file, that uses the path to

winword.exe /mMacroName

where MacroName is the macro above. This would cause the macro to run when opening the file using the shortcut. I have not tried this with text files, yet.

Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I had already received a reply from one of the MS newsgroups that suggested a macro and I did one by just recording and making a button to change everything after it loaded. It was good enough but I'm going to try yours since it seems it will work even better.

Chess

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I did as instructed and it works perfectly. I don't think I'll try the shortcuts since I have so many files and I'm afraid I would soon become confused, especially so since I commonly move the files I'm finished with to another folder.

Chess