New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2k Pro pagefile problems..??

One of my users tried to log into his laptop (while he was at home). He tells me during the fancy Windows 2000 splash screen the status bar hung for a "long time" so he just hit the power button and tried to boot up again. Now every time he tries to log in he gets this error message "Limited virtual Memory. Your system has no pageing file, or the paging file is too small." and proceeds to tell me how to fix it by right clicking "My Computer". This would be great except with this error message comes one button "ok". When you click "ok" the system reboots. I can't log into the system under safe mode or as administrator or as the user. If I could just get to the desktop I'm sure it would be an easy fix. According to MS website I should be able to delete the pagefile and then the system will recreate it. So I followed the directions, deleted the pagefile.sys using the recovery console and still I get the same error message.
    Anyone got a fix for this besides reinstalling Windows? MS website isn't any help. All their ideas start with "go to control panel".

Thanks,
    Dave

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2k Pro pagefile problems..??

Try booting it with a win98 startup disk. Make sure the the fdisk command is included on the diskette. Issue a fdisk /mbr and reboot.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the idea but it didn't help. same old problems. I tried attaching the HD to a workstation as a slave so I could dump all the data somewhere but windows is reporting a parity error. When I try to write a signature to the drive it says "daemon error" whatever that is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I was actually trying to test this out but couldn't get to the registry. the thing wouldn't even load network settings. in the end I took it to the service center. after a few more reboots the system wouldn't even see the HD. I assume it's either a HD controller problem or a HD problem.
    Thanks for the help though!
    Dave