Thread: Invert Text

math1

Invert Text

I'm trying to invert text within a textbox (WORD97) without using WordArt. I tried the blue A mentioned in the Flowchart subject, but all that does is alternate from horizontal, to tight vertical, to left vertical, then horizontal again. What I want is to do a rotate left 2 times the way you can with a Draw object. However, when I click the text box, all the rotate choices are greyed out under Draw. The rotate checkbox is also greyed out under the Format TextBox menu.

Thanks for any help.
    Anne

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Invert Text

Hi Anne,

Here's a neat trick dredged up from when I used to scan a lot of graphics*:

(As a preliminary, there doesn't seem to be any way to do this directly in Word.)
    You'll probably get advice to flip the letter using good graphics software, and then paste this into Word.

I don't have good graphics software, I only have Paint.
    You can paste the letter into Paint, use Image>Flip/Rotate, and then copy/paste special this back into Word as a Picture.

Only problem is: the resolution of the inverted letter will be awful, too jagged to be useable.

Here's the trick:
    In Word create a rather large textbox.
    Type in the letter you'll want to invert.
    Change the font size to something huge - I tried this with 288 pts. but you could make it even larger.
    Copy the letter, go to Paint and paste it.
    Use Image>Flip/Rotate>Flip Vertical to flip the letter.
    Select it, copy it.
    Back in Word, use Paste Special>Picture to paste it into a textbox.
    Then resize the letter as needed by double-clicking on it, and going to the Size tab in the Format Picture dialog.

Using this method will produce an inverted letter image that is similar in quality to its original non-inverted image.

*Starting with a large image and then scaling it smaller increases the effective resolution.

Gary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Anne,

Word Art would seem to be the perfect tool for you want, but you have your reasons for not using it. Well maybe if you create the text you want in Word Art and then Copy, and Paste Special and select Enhanced Metafile or Microsoft Drawing you will get what you are looking for. As Gary suggested regarding the Paint approach, you might like to create the Text as big as possible and then reduce.

Another idea might to be trawl through some font sites and maybe you will find a novelty font that might fit the bill. I am sure I came across an inverted font somewhere, or may it was just a mirror image.

Best of luck,

Andrew

math1

Thanks Andrew and Gary. I like the large font PAINT idea and will use it for myself. I guess I will use Word Art for this project I'm developing for a workshop. I was trying to stick with text boxes here for simplicity's sake, but the cure will be worse than the problem for the group. Word Art it is then.

Anne

BAM

Hi Ann,

I'm not sure about what you want to do exactly, but here is another possibility to accomplish this task using text boxes. This can be used for something like a name tent:

- Use a Landscape page
    - Create a text box and change the Text Direction (blue A) to -90

math1

Thanks for the reply. Your method seems logical, but I must be doing something wrong when I try to follow your directions. The only blue A I can get is when I highlight the text box and click Format, Text direction. Copy or not, the only choices I see are horizontal, vertical left, and vertical right. There is no option to click or choose 90. I'm using WORD97.

BAM

Hi Ann,

My apologies, when you referred to the blue A, I thought you were using the "Change text direction" command on the Text box toolbar, rather than the dialog box in the Format menu. (The toolbar command is where the "one click" came from <grin>)

If you don't have your Text box toolbar turned on, select the text box, right-click any toolbar and select "Text box".

If you prefer to use Format/Text Direction then according to what you have described you are seeing:

math1

Got it, thanks. This gives me a quick way to make name cards.

Anne