New Lounger
    Thanks

Create/Open MS Word by VB from .asp? (English Windows XP)

Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms! Linkoping, Sweden 090702

I have started to learn MS Access 2000 and Visual Basic and want hereby
    do a connection between Ms Access 2000, MS Word, Dreamweaver with Visual Basic code.
    I want to be able to put my CV in a template done in MS Word, which later will be seen on the Internet.
    Some information shall come from MS Access 2000. I want to use Visual Basic programming to
    be able to do a connection between MS Access 2000 or Dreamweaver for opening the MS Word template,
    but how shall this be done? How shall this be implement?

Are there other way of connect the Internet to MS Word templates?

Thanks in advance!
    Johanna Pihlstr

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create/Open MS Word by VB from .asp? (English Windows XP)

Hi Johanna,

You can simply include a link (< a href="MyTemplate.dot" >) to a template on your server and it will open within the web browser (if your users are using Internet Explorer AND if they have MS Word installed), or it will open in an external Word window if they are using another browser (as long as they have Word installed).

What is your purposes of distributing this template? Is it for the users to only View the data, or is it for them to download and use on their local computers?

What is it you're doing with Access? Are you creating the Word Template with data from Access? If so, are you planning to use Automation to create and save the template (within Access)? If that is the case, you do not need any ASP code to accomplish this.

Thanks

Re: Create/Open MS Word by VB from .asp? (English Windows XP)

I've read articles in which MS recommends against running Access on the server; not sure about Word, but I think the concern is that if an element of Office crashes it can present special problems for an unattended computer.

Anyway, you might consider converting your Word template to a style sheet and associating that with your ASP document. You can tag the fields from the database with the desired styles and end up with something at least as attractive as a Word document without all the automation headaches. If users want to save the page with the formatting and other elements, they can use IE's Save As... Web Archive option (which generates an MHTML file with the stylesheet and graphics embedded).