Thanks

Recovering messages

At work we still use Exchange 5.0, and simply saving the .pst file in the Exchange directory acts as a makeshift backup. But where do the downloaded messages reside for Outlook Express? I copied my Outlook Express directory before replacing my hard drive, but I don't even know if that is where my old messages reside. And even if they do, can I restore my old folder structure without losing the messages that have come into my Inbox since I reinstalled Outlook Express?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recovering messages

in files called *.dbx.

Thanks

Thanks - is there a single .dbx file or one for every folder? And where would I look for them - in Program FilesOutlook Express, or a different directory?

Also, is it possible (if I can find them) to restore them without losing the mail I've received (I've kept it all in my inbox) since I reinstalled? I wouldn't mind losing most of it, but I don't want to lose my WOPR newsletters, and all those lovely e-mails I get when I register shareware.

Thanks loads!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

one dbx per folder. use the search tool off the start menu.

i'd store copies of important mails, like for the registrations, outside of the folder as a precaution. i had a friend lose a lot of keys for shareware he purchased when his drive went bad and he only had them in his mail folders. if he only had them on a floppy too...

you can manually save or drag and drop to an explorer folder or use a utility called dbxtract. i'll have to look up the url, but i think it's been posted here before. it pops all messages out of the dbx and saves them to your hard drive.

the messages are *.eml and can be read in notepad, either drop on notepad or change the extension to text.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You have to search a directory in a path (for Win 98SE eg) such as :
    C:WindowsApplication Data.......Outlook Express
    where you should find the *.dbx files located. The exact path will vary, depending on which Identity you are using (and I can't remember it exactly, as I'm in Win 2k at the moment, which has a different route to the same place).
    Rgds

Thanks

Well, I found 'em, but I think I might have to do some kind of import/conversion, because For my current OE install (version 5.00.whatever) the path is:
    c:windowsapplication dataidentities(some bizarre encoded alpha-numeric folder name)MicrosoftOutlook Express

but the path to the old files (probably version 4.something, but I don't remember) is
    c:windowsapplication datamicrosoftOutlook ExpressMail

and the files are named (examples) file10.idx, file10.mbx
    (as opposed to version 5 *.dbx) - does OE safely import and integrate folders from older versions, or is it a crapshoot?

Thanks!!!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you need the mbx utility - it'll break them apart them you can drop them in the new folder.
    mbxtract is here, dbxtract is linked from it, if you need it.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://chatt.net/~scochran/MBXtract.htm>http://chatt.net/~scochran/MBXtract.htm</A>

Thanks

Well, it's worked so far - MBXtract has let me retrieve all my old messages as individual files. Since I couldn't import them into OE5 (presumably because OE4 was already removed), and OE5 doesn't recognize the individual .eml files, is there any way to get them into OE5 folders, or are they essentially relegated to archive status?

Thanks!!!!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

open OE, drop the eml's into the folders you want them in.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this would help to manage your 'wanted' email, but for future reference : you could leave a copy of your e-mails on the server(s). That way, when you upgrade or re-install, or simply to act as a safety net, they are all downloaded into your new version. If there are large numbers, or many large size attachments, however, you might run out of the space you've been allocated, so regular pruning may well be necessary.

Thanks

MJ -

Thanks once again - I have all my old e-mail back.

dj
    Have a cookie -

Don