Thread: Notepad

New Lounger
    Thanks

Notepad

I was cutting and pasting in Notepad and received the message "Out of memory, quit one or more apps" I have 512 MB and only experience this in Notepad. FWIW, I was editing a page from MyYahoo!, just adding my name and password to the sign in page. Any clues to what is going on? It has happened just about every time I do it.

Thanks
    Lou

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Notepad

I suspect you're running into a resource limitation (not a RAM limitation) because you have many apps running in the background. Have you tried opening the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see what's running in the background? You might be surprised. Do you get this error message with any other applications?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I have checked task manager and there is the same stuff running; ZoneAlarm, Norton, IE, etc. Nothing unusual has appeared. I've also checked with PestPatrol to see if there was any spyware running. I've cleared my history and temporary internet files. On the whole the machine is running slower. I've run the System Monitor and checked for CPU usage and memory allocated and free memory and it seems like there is alot of memory being used. For instance, right now there is 375 MB allocated and 256 MB unused physical memory (it has 512MB installed) I have IE and Outlook open. Do you have any experience with memory management? I'm wondering if this is normal. I've heard of memory leaks, does this seem like a possibility?

Thanks
    Lou

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As you probably know, Windows 9x is notorious for memory leaks and not recovering memory after an application closes. There are many freeware RAM recovery utilities out there. I've tried a few and they seem to have made my Windows 95 somewhat more reliable and stable. You might want to give one a try. They're harmless and easy to uninstall if you don't notice an improvement. Take a look at tweakpc.com and ramrelease.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I will take a look at them.

Lou

Lounger
    Thanks

win98 se only seems to recognize 64mb of ram as a standard. Check your system.ini to see if your conservative swapfile usage has been modified. If modified to recognize more than 64MB of ram it should read, " conservativeswapfileusage=1" without the quotes.