Thread: DVD/laptop/TV

Lounger
    Thanks

DVD/laptop/TV

Would be most grateful if anyone could tell me how to get a widescreen DVD (played on a Sony laptop and displayed on a Sony widescreen TV) to fill the television screen?. The movie is always letterboxed top and bottom, seemingly whatever settings (16:9, fill screen, etc) I choose. I've tried DirectDVD and WinDVD - same result in both cases.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVD/laptop/TV

It is my understanding, that if the DVD is widescreen, it can not be fitted to the conventional tv screen "normally".

However, if the DVD comes with both a Widescreen, and "Formatted to fit your TV" screen, then you can choose which format you wish.

I have one DVD, when played on "SIDE A", it's widescreen. When I flip it over, I get the "formatted" view on SIDE B.
    Christopher Baldrey

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your comment Chris. The TV I'm using is in fact a widescreen set rather than conventional, yet the widescreen DVD does not fill it vertically. Perhaps what's going on will become clear when I've tried a few more examples.

Thanks

I'm guessing that your display driver "knows" a TV's resolution, but doesn't know the HDTV resolution. In my "secondary display" choices, there is no HDTV-type option (this is on a Dell Inspiron 4000 with Windows 2000)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your ideas on the problem Jeff, and for taking the trouble to provide the screenshot. However, I'm in the UK, so unfortunately we don't have HDTV yet (as usual miles behind the States)! It may be simply that I'm getting a letterboxed image on the widescreen TV because the one video I've tried so far is in some form of cinema widescreen format rather than 16:9.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're not using a Nvidia graphics card by chance are you? That's a pet peeve/annoyance/known issue with Nvidia's drivers - no official fix but there are a few things on the 'net that will wax that black space for you.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Using ATI Rage Mobility, Mark, but it may be worth finding out whether it is OK for the application. Thanks for the pointer.