Star Lounger
    Thanks

Netscape Message Toolbar

Here's a strange problem. I'm using Netscape 4.76 both at the office and at home. On both machines, when I display the MAIL page, the Message toolbar (the one with the icons) is only partially displayed. If I drag the toolbar a little, it all comes into focus and everything's fine. It's been that way through the last few version updates. Not a big problem, just annoying. I'm guessing that some other program has stepped on a setting somewhere. Does anyone have a guess?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Netscape Message Toolbar

Hi Keith:
    Only a guess. Your prefs.js file may be corrupt. Make a backup of your prefs.js file while Netscape is closed. Then rename it (e.g. prefs.old). NS will recreate the file when next open. You'll have to recreate all your settings.

By the way, 4.75 here is as stable as any, and has the latest security patches.

Its two prime annoyances are the 'JS hang' on selected Websites - which is common to many NS browsers - and the search crash, which occurs with frequency, but not always. 4.76 news sort and mark is slow for some users.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil -
    I tried recreating the prefs.js file. No go. The message bar is still flaky. It seemed like a good idea, though. Thanks for taking a shot. It's not something I would have thought of. Like I said, it's not a huge problem, and I've been dealing with it for a good while. Guess I'll live.
    Thanks again,
    Keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I usually use a maximum window size. I wonder if it can be corrected by changing the size, holding Ctrl+x when closing the window. Also, maybe changing the font size under Edit/Preferences/Appearance may have an effect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil -
    I think you nailed it. Changing the font size had no effect. Then I changed the size of the screen (just slightly smaller) and saved it. After a warm re-boot, the message toolbar came up just fine. It's not a correction - I may never find out the actual cause - but it's a good workaround. Bottom line, that's what counts.

The original Netscape installation came from a download and was installed on 4 machines. The bug is in all of them. I guess something nasty sneaked in at that point.

Thanks for your help, Phil

Keith

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're quite welcome. I just keep guess'n.