New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to uninstall win95

My computer has been giving me a headache and it was suggested that i remove win95 and go to win98. Tried to uninstall it myself (run - uninstal.exe) and thought it went okay until it rebooted and tried to run win95, getting to the desktop etc appearing when it said "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". Then it all kind of froze. Somehow i managed to reinstall win95 from the cd but now my screen is all wonky looking, files are missing on start up and the old probs are still there. Can anyone tell me how to 'format' and/or remove win95 so i can load a new win98 (not an upgrade). My comp came with win95 and most of the info i have found only applies to upgraded win95. As you can tell by my nick i have no idea about the inner workings of my computer but i can follow plainly written instructions well??!! Any help will be much appreciated before my computer becomes my new boat anchor. Thanks!!!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Need to uninstall win95

I suggest you get someone who is computer-savvy to give you hands-on help with this - it's not the sort of thing I'd recommend to someone with no idea ...

Anyway, here's an outline of the steps involved-

The first thing to do is to back up all of your data files, otherwise you risk losing them (eg documents, e-mail files, internet favorites, etc). This is also true of configuration files (usually ending in .INI) for whatever software you're running (eg Normal.dot, for Word). next, make sure you've got all the driver disks & software disks for your computer - best to download the latest drivers from the manufacturers.

Once that's done, you'll need to consider whether your computer can boot from a CD. This setting, if it's available, is usually controlled through the BIOS. If your computer can't boot from a CD, or you can't find the setting, you'll need a boot disk (floppy) with the CD-ROM drivers on it and configured to load them on boot-up (via config.sys or autoexec.bat). Make sure you can boot from the CD-ROM or from the floppy and access the CD-ROM before going any further.

When all of the above is in place, the easiest course - and probably the only safe one at this stage - is to delete C:Windows, along with all its files and sub-folders. To do this, exit from Windows to DOS and enter:
    C:WINDOWSCOMMANDDELTREE C:WINDOWS /Y
    C:WINDOWS and every file and subdirectory under it will now be deleted.
    Alternatively, if you're sure you've backed up EVERYTHING you want to keep, you could simply reformat you hard drive with:
    C:WINDOWSCOMMANDFORMAT C:
    The advantage of the DELTREE process is that it leaves all your other folders (including those containing most of your programs) untouched. Conversely, the advantage of the FORMAT process is that it wipes out everything, including any corrupted or incompletely deleted software lurking on your system.

Now reboot the computer with the Win 98 CD-ROM inserted. If it can boot from the BIOS, make sure it is set up to do so (preferably with the CD-ROM being the first drive searched), otherwise make sure the boot disk is inserted. If you've booted from the CD-ROM, the setup process should start automatically. If it doesn't, or you've booted from a floppy disk, you'll need to use DOS commands to access ther CD-ROM and start the setup process. For example:
    CD D:
    where 'D' is the drive letter in DOS for your CD-ROM, followed by:
    SETUP
    to start the setup process.

Set aside at least 1/2 a day to reinstall Windows, all your drivers and software, then re-configure everything you forgot about (or is configured through registry settings instead of configuration files) ...

Cheers?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]