New Lounger
    Thanks

ShowAll macro HELP!!! (Word 2000)

Hi all, I just read WOODY's OFFICE FOR MERE MORTALS 2 July 2002 Vol 3 No 16 and tried to implement his updated ShowAll macro.
    Unfortunately, It appears that the macro is being invoked every time I start Word. I've tried deleting the macro and even replacing the normal.dot file.
    Nothing seems to work. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Karl Keller

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ShowAll macro HELP!!! (Word 2000)

OK.... I went to Tools | Options | View, and unchecked all of the boxes under Formatting marks.
    That solved my problem. Did I miss something?
    I thought that the modified ShowAll macro would work only when the toolbaar button was pressed?

Thanks,

Karl Keller

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word remembers the state of the View options. So the Macro wasn't "running" each time you started word, you ran it once and it then remembered that you wanted to view paragraph marks and tabs. If you had just clicked the toolbar again before exiting word you would have been OK.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart,
    I tried clicking the toolbar button, but it never stopped the macro. Instead, It appeared to toggle between the default ShowAll macro and Woody's version. I tested this by clicking the button and pressing the space bar. In both instances I could still see the backwards P (Paragraph mark?) but could see the dots (Space indicators?) only when the button was not active.
    I may have caused this by the way I implemented/tested the macro. After I replaced the default ShowAll macro with Woody's version I tested it without saving or exiting Word. After testing I decided to go back to the default by deleting the ShowAll macro per Woody's instructions. After exiting Word and I noticed the problem. I even looked at the macro and verified that it was the original.

Thanks

Karl Keller

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you say "it never stopped the macro", I think you mean "I could still see paragraph marks".

I know it may seem that I am being pedantic, but it is important to use the right terms, to prevent misunderstandings.

The original ShowAll command toggles the check box at Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks > All. It then stops running. Because that box is checked, Word displays all of its formatting marks on the screen. Next time you click the button the macro runs again and clears the check box, Word now stops displaying formatting marks.

The new version of the macro should have changed the behaviour so that you toggled the Paragraph Marks and Tab Characters check boxes under Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks.

<font color=blue>I tested this by clicking the button and pressing the space bar. In both instances I could still see the backwards P (Paragraph mark?) but could see the dots (Space indicators?) only when the button was not active.</font color=blue>

This is exactly what I would expect to happen if you
    <UL><LI>Installed Woody's macro
    <LI>Turned on the display of Paragraph Marks and Tab characters by clicking the toolbar
    <LI>Removed Woody's macro again[/list]At this stage you have Tools > Options > View > Formatting Marks set up like the attached picture. Word will display all paragrah marks and tabs.
    If you now click the toolbar button then this will toggle the state of the "All" checkbox, giving exactly the behavior you have described. Paragraph Marks and Tabs will always be displayed, spaces and hidden text will toggle with the button.

I hope that is a bit clearer now.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Thank you for your detailed response. I now understand what happened.

Karl Keller