New Lounger
    Thanks

System Crashes After Using Print Preview in Excel (Excell 2000)

I'm using Excel 2000 (from the Small Business Edition of Office) with Windows 98SE. This problem is only occurring in Excel--Word and other softwares I have don't have the problem.

When I page through the end of any Excel file in print preview and then return to Excel and try to print, the system gives me a fatal exception OE at 017F:BFF9DFF and terminates the app. I then have to do a hard shutdown. This doesn't happen if I only view a few pages and don't get to the page that contains the last row in the file.

This just started to happen this afternoon when I tried to close a file and the system hung with the message "system dangerously low on resources"; again I had to hard shutdown.

This happened to me about 6 months ago, and I reloaded Office. It all worked okay until today. Thanks for any help/suggestions. I am going nuts.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Crashes After Using Print Preview in Excel (Excell 2000)

Does this happen with other files, or just this one file?

It sounds like the file might be corrupted. Try the following:

1- Use SaveAs to save the file in HTML format.

2- Close Excel and then start it back up and open the HTML file.

3- Use SaveAs to save the file as an Excel Workbook (.xls file). Use a different name so that you don't lose the original file.

4- Close Excel, then open the new .xls file and see if the problem still exists.

Saving the file in HTML file may lose some formatting, so you may have to manually restore some formatting.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I left that out of original post--it happens in any Excel file. I wish it was only file corruption--I could deal with the backup!

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Ok, so it's only excel, not workbook specific and it didn't happen from when you reinstalled office until after you had a crash. I suspect something within excel or the registry has become corrupted and that reloading office would clear it up again but there's an easier thing to try first: force excel to reregister itself. To do this type the following, including the quotes, into the start/run box:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeexcel.exe" /regserver

and hit ok. Although I don't recall having had your precise problem, I use this on a reasonably regular basis and it tends to work for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! This did the trick.