4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express (Access 97 SR2)

I have used the below code to create an send an email item from a module in access 97, however, this was for Outlook 2000 & 97, I now need to make the application work for outlook express. Can anyone tell me any tips on the method to send emails in outlook express. When running the below with the outlook express reference ticked, it crashes when it first gets to Outlook.Application as this command is only available through the outlook reference. Im guessing there must be a similar command for express?

Dim ol As New Outlook.Application
    Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim newMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Set ns = ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    Set newMail = ol.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    With newMail
    .Subject = "Data from Phil"
    With .Recipients.Add(Email)
    .Type = olTo
    End With

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express (Access 97 SR2)

Unfortunately, Outlook Express doesn't have an exposed object model, so it can't be programmed in VBA (AFAIK).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

Learn something every day! Guess ill have to write a routine for the user to save the file somewhere where they can then email it manually.
    Regards,
    Phil

Thanks

Have you exhausted the capabilities of DoCmd.SendObject? I think it uses the machines "default" e-mail program, which would compensate for the inability to talk to Outlook Express more intimately.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was put onto another project, Im sure you all know how that is!

I wasnt using docmd.sendobject as I was sending a compressed file, however, I have now set up the database to use docmd.sendobject if no other email client is available, therefore the user will have to make sure the number of records isnt too great - but if it comes to it I can write some code to check that.

The only problem i've had with docmd.sendobject so far is on the first machine I tested it on. It had Outlook 2000 but I got the error: "You do not have a default email program selected, please make you're email program the default before running this"
    Or something like that anyway. However, outlook did not prompt me to make it the default and I dont know how to set it within outlook, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer installs Outlook Express, whether you use it or not. Office normally installs Outlook. You have to pick one as your default email program, otherwise having it on the machine isn't enough. In IE, Select Tools-->Internet Options or select Internet Options directly in the Control Panel. Click on the Programs tab and specify the email program. SendObject won't work with OE.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte,

I formatted recently and im so used to my home pc (win 98) which set the default email automatically, for some reason my work pc (win NT) didnt set the default when I installed Outlook 2000. Hence I didnt know where to set it manually.

Thanks again.