New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing empty rows / columns? (Excel 97 - SR2)

Sorry for the rookie question, but I've had no luck searching the Excel Help File for a solution ...

I have a spreadsheet, generated by a co-worker, that has valid data in cells A1182 only. When one presses Ctrl-End, the cursor jumps to cell D1792. I've tried highlighting rows 183 through 1792 and pressing the Delete key, and have also tried highlighting the rows and using the Edit / Delete pulldown as well as highlighting the rows and using the Delete command from the right click context menu, but further Ctrl-End keystrokes still jump to D1792.

What is the proper way to delete rows 183 through 1792 so that a Ctrl-End keystroke will result in the cursor jumping to D182? I would also assume that the proper procedure would also be applicable to removing empty columns, as well?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you should have any questions.

Thanks in advance,
    Randy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing empty rows / columns? (Excel 97 - SR2)

This is a very annoying problem with XL97. See Q100406. I would select all of the rows from the last empty one to the very end, use Edit | Clear | All, use Edit | Delete, and finally save/close/reopen the workbook. You can experiment to see if you really need to do all three steps. I don't have XL97 here. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also, see the threads starting at <!post=Post 50564,50564>Post 50564<!/post> and at <!post=Post 133048,133048>Post 133048<!/post>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sam,

Thank you for your speedy response!

I was able to purge the unneeded rows after Clearing and Deleting the unused rows, saving the spreadsheet and then reopening the spreadsheet, just as you and Hans suggested.

Thanks again,

Randy