Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Statement (A2000)

The following SQL returns vehicles, clients booked in.

It is designed from four tables.

In my db I know there are five clients booked in, but the SQL will only return two.

I know its because various fields in the four tables contain null values, how can I bypass these so five entries are returned.

SELECT tblDetails.EstimateNo, tblDetails.Supp, tblDetails.Registration, tblDetails.JobType, tblClientCode.Surname, tblEnquiry.BookInDate, tblEnquiry.BookOutDate, tblDetails.Registration, tblVehicleDetails.Manufacturer, tblVehicleDetails.Model
    FROM tblVehicleDetails INNER JOIN (tblEnquiry INNER JOIN (tblDetails INNER JOIN tblClientCode ON tblDetails.ClientCode = tblClientCode.ClientCode) ON (tblEnquiry.Supp = tblDetails.Supp) AND (tblEnquiry.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo)) ON (tblVehicleDetails.Supp = tblDetails.Supp) AND (tblVehicleDetails.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo) AND (tblVehicleDetails.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo) AND (tblVehicleDetails.Registration = tblDetails.Registration);

Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Statement (A2000)

Inner joins return only those records for which the join field is the same and not null on both sides. You can change them to outer joins so that null values on one side of the join are allowed.

In query design view, double click a line representing a join. You'll get 3 options. The first option is the inner join; the other two are the left and right outer join. You'll have to decide which one you want. I'd start with the join between tblClientCode and tblDetails and select the option where all records in tblClientCode are displayed. Then both links from tblDetails to tblEnquiry - select the option where all records in tblDetails are displayed. Finally the link from tblEnquiry to tblVehicleDetails.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm getting ambigous join errors ??

What does this meen ?

Thanks

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

It means that there is an inconsistency in the "direction" of the joins.

tblA ---> tblB ---> tblC ---> tblD is OK

tblA <--- tblB ---> tblC ---> tblD is OK too (probably)

tblA ---> tblB <--- tblC ---> tblD is ambiguous

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    This does make sense, a bit like driving up a one way street isn't it.

I have removed all the joins, saved and re-opened with a view to re-join with the correct directions.
    I have tried to re- join one at a time but still get the ambigous error, is their something in the index of the tables ?

Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I've got it now : -

SELECT tblDetails.EstimateNo, tblDetails.Supp, tblDetails.Registration, tblDetails.JobType, tblClientCode.Surname, tblEnquiry.BookInDate, tblEnquiry.BookOutDate, tblDetails.Registration, tblVehicleDetails.Manufacturer, tblVehicleDetails.Model
    FROM tblVehicleDetails INNER JOIN (tblEnquiry INNER JOIN (tblDetails INNER JOIN tblClientCode ON tblDetails.ClientCode = tblClientCode.ClientCode) ON (tblEnquiry.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo) AND (tblEnquiry.Supp = tblDetails.Supp)) ON (tblVehicleDetails.Registration = tblDetails.Registration) AND (tblVehicleDetails.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo) AND (tblVehicleDetails.EstimateNo = tblDetails.EstimateNo) AND (tblVehicleDetails.Supp = tblDetails.Supp);

Dave