5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing XP (XP)

I want to upgrade to Windows XP, but I'm not sure how to do it. Should I clean my system, format my hard drive and start from scratch, or install XP over Win2K?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Installing XP (XP)

First make sure that ALL of your hardware and software will run with XP. If is does NOT plan on doing some different upgrading. There should be a file on the CD to check your system befor upgrading.

As for the installation, I would back up ALL data and then format and do a clean install.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'll second Dave - format and re-install is the best way to go. Most weird system problems result from upgrades. A clean installation removes all of the lostbits and bytes that are floating around just waiting to make your life.....umm....interesting. You could always do a "parallel install" where you put XP on as a dual-boot option and see how well things work out. Then you would be able to take your time moving in (so to speak).

The tool that Dave mentioned, the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor, can be downloaded from Microsoft free of charge. It won't detect everything - so be cautious. Double check your hardware on the Hardware Compatibility List.

XP's setup program will format for you if you boot from CD.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just did it! Backed everything up--don't forget your Favorites--I ALWAYS forget them, but I didn't this time! Format c: and install. Oh. And I first inserted the CD and it told me my BIOS needed to be upgraded. I did it, and still got the error. So I found out that (after formatting and everything and STILL getting the error) one of the first things it tells you is to hit F6 if you want to install raid arrays and such. Well, Technet says hit F7 at that point (tho there is nothing else to indicate that, and nothing happens to let you know that it worked or ANYTHING, very weird) and it'll bypass the requirement on the BIOS thing being APCI compatible or something. Just thought I'd share that. My PC is only a couple years old but it appears I was two versions behind on the BIOS, and XP still didn't like it. Hm.