Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link to Outlook Contacts (Access 2000/SR-1)

I have linked to the Outlook Contacts table and would like to filter records based on Outlook (2000) Categories. Unfortunately, Categories is not a field in the linked table. In fact, I see that many fields I would (ass)(u)(me) to be listed are not present.

Can you tell me if there is a way to access the missing fields (I see 44 entries in the linked table) or are they truly not available. I would like to avoid any programming I could possibly avoid.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Link to Outlook Contacts (Access 2000/SR-1)

The only way I have been able to effectively do this is to create a separate Outlook folder with the contacts I want to link to in it and do the processing. As you have observed, linking to Outlook only gives you a subset of the fields, and unfortunately not some of the key ones. With OLE Automation you can do a fair bit more, but it involves lots of programming, and an in-depth knowledge of the Outlook object model.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I thought that might be the case once I saw that the wrong fields seem to be showing up for other folders, such as Journal and Calendar. This is unfortunate and shows a lack of vision on MSs part. I guess it's time to roll up the old sleeves and get back into programming. Any thoughts on where I could come up with field names? If I remember right, there is a way to discover field names programmatically. Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi,
    I would have said that the easiest way is simply to set a reference to the Outlook object library and then use the object browser to view all the properties and methods of the contactitem object.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel