sph

Win 2K Explorer won't launch

I'm having a problem with Win 2K's Explorer. This showed up only recently after 2 months of normal operation. I can launch Windows Explorer rom the Start Menu but not from a shortcut, on my desktop or Office Bar, and the "Explore" option on the context menu to view the contents of a CD, fails to work either. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win 2K Explorer won't launch

what error message? sounds like it was renamed or moved - one of the troijans does that - subseven i believe.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would also suggest taking two other steps that may resolve the problem - may not, but it's worth a shot.

1) From the command line, run the system file checker. You will need the Windows 2000 CD handy for this. And be warned, it will take some time (probably around 1/2 hour) and the system will be all but unuseable while it is running. To run the system file checker, go to Start -> Run and type in cmd. At the command line, type SFC /SCANNOW (you can type SFC /? for more options).

The second, more drastic measure is to boot with the floppies that you create from the Windows 2000 CD and have Windows 2000 check and repair your installation.
    -Mark

sph

Thanks for the ideas, unfortunately, nothing worked. I'm thinking Wipe and Re-install is the best option. Besides, its not healthy to get too attached to your files. One note, I did install the IE 6 Beta update for Win 2K sometime before the problem started. Do you think that Microsoft could have missed something? Naw, couldn't happen.