Lounger
    Thanks

Vertical Toolbar like Outlook Bar (Access XP)

I want to create a main application window in an Access 2002 database which looks and works rather like the main window in MS Outlook. i.e. I want an application window with a toolbar pane down the left-hand edge and screen forms displaying in a pane to the right. Ideally I'd like this Outlook Bar-style toolbar to have tab or folder functions so that clicking on one button expands the bar to reveal a set of sub-options. The way Outlook does this, with buttons for Outlook Shortcuts, My Shortcuts, Other Shortcuts, at the bottom of the bar, is rather clumsy. It would be better to have something like the + and - button functionality of tree-folder panes in Windows Explorer. Is there an easy way to achieve this? Can I, from Access, employ the actual control which produces the Outlook Bar and substitute my own buttons?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vertical Toolbar like Outlook Bar (Access XP)

If you do a Google search for "outlook bar control", I'm sure you'll find third-party controls that mimic the Outlook bar. Similar for "treeview control".

If you have Office Developer Edition, or at least one of the Visual Studio products, you already have the Microsoft Treeview control (it's in mscomctl.ocx).

Since these are not native Access controls, you'll have to write code to use them. Attached to <!post=Post 135335, 135335>Post 135335<!/post> you'll find a zipped Access 97 database that contains a demo form with a Microsoft Treeview and Listview control and some code that demonstrates how to populate and use them.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    Many thanks. I have located and downloaded your demo database and will study. Fear, though, that it may all be a bit beyond my modest grasp of VBA. I have also found various 3rd party products as you predicted.

Mike

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you haven't found DBI Technologies yet, you might look at them. We've had good experiences using them. However you will need to know some VBA to make them work well.
    Wendell