2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

multiuser question (97)

hi all
    do workgroups have anything to do with more than one person being able to open a database at the one time? we have a database that i have created and no more than one person can have it open at one time (except if i have it open myself on two different machines). does this have anything to do with the system.mdw file?

thanks in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multiuser question (97)

Access databases are multi-user. Normally, Access creates a .ldb file in the same folder as the .mdb or .mde that holds information on the users who have opened a database. As soon as the last user exits, the .ldb file is deleted. But if a user have read-only access to the folder in which the database resides, Access can't create the .ldb file, so Access MUST let him/her open the database exclusively.

Workgroup files are for keeping track of database security.

Thanks

... a couple of other items you may want to check if the answer Hans provided does not solve the problem.

- Make sure you don't have the database set up to open exclusively. Thus, only one person would be able to open the database on the network at one time. In 2000, this is set up at TOOLS / OPTIONS / ADVANCED / DEFAULT OPEN MODE (Set to Shared or Exclusive)

- Check the security settings for the users. For example, if the database opens a startup form and the user does not have rights to access the form, the user won't be able to open the database.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks guys,
    i changed the startup to shared... i will post back if i have any more problems.