3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your 2-cents on Integrated motherboards

I'm looking at upgrading a three user W98SE peer-to-peer network and bringing in a dedicated server rather than using one of the three as the 'server'.

I've done some kicking around and I'm thinking of replacing the existing motherboards with integrated ones, such as one by PC Chips M787CLMR, that is to say with CPU, video, audio all on-board. Being workstations, they don't need to be of the latest spec and the applications used on them will be general office s/w (O97, W98SE, Access, Lotus Organiser) so would this be a viable idea?? I figure that the money saved on the workstations would be better used at server level, which in itself only really need be a 1.4GHz Athlon or something. All the server has to do is print, provide storage and backup. Oh, and using a 56k modem, act as the gateway to the Internet and e-mail. Broadband is not and will not be available in the area in the foreseable future.

Dead simple stuff this - no bells, no whistles.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Your 2-cents on Integrated motherboards

The only concern I would have is....if your video card goes kaput, the whole board is useless. Would a simple VGA card, such as a Vanta, be out of the question? Otherwise, I think it's an excellent solution.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Your 2-cents on Integrated motherboards

I have had a couple of PC Chips boards before and would never buy one again. Their implementation of integrated components is very poor.

In my opinion audio integration makes since. Most will never use pc audio for anything beyond simple cd listening.

Video integration is tricky. There seem to be two predominant styles. The PC Chips way is to share your systems RAM with the video. This leaves you with less available ram than you bargained for, weirdness in the way the bios handles memory, and no ability to resolve a blown video adapter. But there is a better way. Some manufacturers just solder the video memory to the board. Usually, this means that the on-board video can be disabled in the bios. Better performance can be expected with this implementaion.

I like Abit boards myself. I run a network with over 50 pc's and have never had a problem with one. So there it is. If you must get an integrated board, be sure that the video does not have shareable memory and that it can be disabled in the bios.