Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double boot caused NT4 to lose BDC status

Hi folks,
    I've been doing some testing with adding W2K computers to an NT4 domain. I recently installed W2K server onto a separate HDD in an existing NT4 BDC server, expecting that I'd be able to double-boot between the W2K server and the NT4 BDC.
    I have no problem logging onto the network from either boot configuration, but when I go into Server Manager on the PDC while this computer is booted to NT4, it shows this computer as an "NT4 Workstation." While W2K is running, it shows up as "NT5.0 Server." I wanted to keep the BDC functionality on the network, but I can't do a Synchronize, Promote, or any other server-related function while booted to NT4.

Can anyone help? Can I get the functionality back short of doing a reinstall of NT4 server?

Thanks.

Charlie T.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double boot caused NT4 to lose BDC status

It sounds like you are using the same system name for both configurations. Is this a requirement for you?

I think you can probably do what you are trying if you configure the two disks with different system names, so that the PDC sees them as completely different systems.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    You hit it on the head. I had both OS's on "Server1." I changed W2K's computer name to "Server3" and left NT4's as "Server1,"
    then I was able to re-add Server1 to the domain as a BDC.
    It's a nice feeling when things work out.

CharlieT.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought that trying to have 2 different boots on a single machine within a domain might cause problems because both would share the same MAC address. From what you say, the DHCP database can cope. Can anybody enlighten me?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, for one thing, I've given it a static IP outside the DHCP range. Secondly, although Server Manager now lists both "Server1" and "Server3," only one of them is active at any one time depending on which OS is booted up.
    I don't know if this is as technical an answer as you were hoping for, but there you have it. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

CT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

MAC addresses aren't usually a problem in this sort of context.
    <UL><LI>Some routers will be configured to only accept specific MAC addresses on specific ports, but this won't matter because the switch doesn't know about the other changes you made.
    <LI>Some DHCP servers are configured to only issue leases to specific known MAC addresses, this is again not a problem because we don't mind if our two systems have the same IP address
    <LI>Translations between IP addresses and MAC addresses are stored in an "ARP Cache" on various servers. If you use the same MAC address with two different IP addresses then this will cause someone to have an invalid entry in their ARP cache. Again this is not a problem as it will time out and get flushed.[/list]StuartR