New Lounger
    Thanks

changed PDF files not published (2000)

Hi -- I use FP 2000 to maintain a web site which has a number of PDF files that sometimes need to be updated. The file names don't change, but the contents do. A new PDF file in the web gets published without problems. However, if a PDF file gets updated in my local folder, FP will not overwrite the older file on the web when publishing. Of course it is possible to delete the old PDF file first, publish, then add the new file and publish anew. I was wondering if others had noticed the same problem, if I was doing anything wrong, and if there were any more elegant solutions for this.

Thanks

Re: changed PDF files not published (2000)

Attached screen grab is from FP2002, but I'm sure there were similar options in FP2000.
    You may need to check you have "Use source file timestamps to determine changes since last publish" for what you are doing. FP will certainly not be able to see a change in the content of a .pdf file (in the way it could possibly do with an HTML file) so simply comparing the source and destination will not be enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (6.7 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi -- thanks. This option may not have been there in FP2000. Attached are the Options in FP 2000, and there is nothing like this under the Publish Web Options either.
    I'll sure try to look for it further.

Thanks

I've just opened up FP2000 - below is what is on the File > Publish window - which is where I hoped you would find similar options.
    I thought the date comparison bit was in there, but obviously it isn't.

There may be no easy answer, other than opting for the 'Overwrite all pages' choice. (That will reset any page counter you have.)
    There may be a simpler way if all you are doing is updating the one file, such as using an FTP client or Internet Neighborhood
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.8 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - the people in charge discourage the use of FTP (for security reasons?!), but I'll check out the Neighborhood program. One would have hoped the solution to be in FP itself. Perhaps this was one of the reasons for the upgrade.

Thanks

I typically get a small dialog informing me that <some user> has updated the file on such and such a date and do I want to overwrite it? I don't know why I get these messages more often for PDF files than HTML; I can't ascertain any pattern. However, there is a Yes to All button that speeds the publishing.

Before diving into FTP, did you try the publish all, or are we talking about way too many files?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi -- thanks for your input. I don't think I ever had that small dialogue you refer to: FP just does its job, and afterwards the PDF file(s) are the old ones, although the new files are on the local web.

The whole web is many hundreds of files; perhaps the "Publish all" is still feasible since it runs happily in the background (although sometimes it gets updated a dozen times a day). I'll try that, and see how it works: thanks for your suggestion.